Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Photo & Graphic Designer MX + Designer Pro X (v8)

Ron I'm afraid your post is not making much sense to me.

Your company should purchase separate licenses for their machines. There is a multi-license option for businesses. Contact Sales at Xara.com.

I'm not aware of any backwards compatibility issues, please explain.

What do you mean you have accepted the raster/vector difference?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Never mind, we do have our own license for the business. I wasn't sure if we needed to upgrade yet.

Thanks!
    Ron Cavagnaro

Here I am asking the same question as I did last upgrade:

Is there any easy way to migrate my settings (options, key shortcuts, control bars, screen layout, palettes, etc) from v7 to v8?

Surely I'm not alone in wanting to do this? Having to do so manually takes the shine off every new version for me.

Ever hopeful,
    matt

Key shortcuts, yes. Look at the Load and Save options in the Shortcut utility. Note that you'll be missing any new shortcuts that have become available in the new version.

Control bars, yes, via XaReg, although it hasn't yet been updated to work with the current version.

Options, some, again via XaReg. Screen layout, no.

Palettes, just copy over from the previous version.

As per the Key Shortcuts, if you want to retain your old settings on these items, you won't see any new additions. Re the color palettes, for example, the Pantone palettes have been updated in the new version.

Thanks, sounds like I need to wait for a new version of XaReg

I did migrate my keyboard shortcuts successfully from v7, you have to adjust them to new functions though.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
    Here I am asking the same question as I did last upgrade:
    Is there any easy way to migrate my settings (options, key shortcuts, control bars, screen layout, palettes, etc) from v7 to v8?
    Surely I'm not alone in wanting to do this? Having to do so manually takes the shine off every new version for me.
    I gave up asking for this several versions ago.

I gotta say I can't see much reason to fork out $99 for this upgrade. That's a big fraction of the full cost, especially considering its incremental nature. It seems to me that Xara's loyal users are, at least to an extent, being taken advantage of. I thought I'd be a loyal user for life, upgrading without even thinking about it, but I don't think I am even going to bother with the demo this time around.
    Last edited by BONES; 21 May 2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com

no one's being taken advantage of - you don't have to buy it - you don't even have to try it, as you appear to have decided

I don't think I'd call the shape builder/eraser tools 'incremental' and, like the new text features, they are things members have been asking for for a while... though obviously not your good self

I'd personally put them way above migrating settings - which is just a one-off exercise and a good opportunity to review and patch in the new stuff to your layout [given you can migrate the dictionary apparently]

it's not giong to please everyone - nothing ever does.... if you are not going to find any of this useful no reason to fork out...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

it's not going to please everyone - nothing ever does.... if you are not going to find any of this useful no reason to fork out...
    Xara is probably the only software I have upgraded every upgrade. They usually sneak something in there that makes my work life a little easier or more pleasant (not always the obvious stuff either). I stopped upgrading my Adobe products like that years ago. I'm still on CS3 as nothing since then particularly improves my life (And I can't get over the sinister idea that I am just there to be harvested).
    No one should upgrade just for the sake of it, particularly in the current economic climate.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I don't think I'd call the shape builder/eraser tools 'incremental'...
    It is just extending an existing feature, an alternative to existing means of achieving the same thing. I can't see myself ever using it, although I can certainly see that some would. Adding in website publishing was a new feature, one well worth paying $99 for. This stuff seems pretty lightweight by comparison. In fact, I'd suggest it is more the stuff of a .5 update, not a full version.
    ...like the new text features, they are things members have been asking for for a while... though obviously not your good self
    Actually, I think this is a massive step backwards. I've had to deal with this kind of thing in other applications and I always hated the way it complicated simple things. Is it optional?
    I'd personally put them way above migrating settings - which is just a one-off exercise
    Really? I think I have had to do it dozens of times over the years and it often takes me ages to get things just how I want them again.

But my main issue is with the cost of upgrading, which seems very high. To put it in perspective, it is twice what I paid for Xara in the first place. Sure, it has grown up massively since then but $100 a year is asking a lot and in this case seems to be delivering very little. If the "intro offer" was $49, I wouldn't even think about it but I put this in the same basket as Adobe CS upgrades - don't need it - and this is the first time I have ever felt that about a Xara upgrade. Maybe it is just a sign of the product's maturity but it has actually come as a bit of a shock to me, I have to say.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com