Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ebeded SWF not working

Hi,

I'm trying to embed a flash gallery, or SWF object, using XWD7 Premium. I downloaded the package from flashmo.com. I was able to edit the thumbnails and flash document to reflect my objects, and it works when trying it with Flashplayer on my computer. But when I upload it with Xara, the main SWF is there, but all the objects (thumbnails) are missing.

I tried with a simple "import" and also by using a placeholder. Neither one seem to work.

I think it's a simple fix with getting my files in the right place on the server and possibly fixing some path names, etc., but I'm not familiar enough with Flash to figure out what I need to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Default Re: Ebeded SWF not working

Hello Matt

XWD7 will only display what is in the .swf file. It sounds to me like there is another file that is part of the gallery along with the .swf file.

Some gallery/slide show applications save HTML files as well as Flash files and this could be the problem.

If so, is there an option to save the whole thing as a single .swf file?

Thanks for the response, Gary.

Yes, there are several files and folders included in the package. In addition to the .swf file, there is an html file, a .fla and an xml. There are also 3 folders: com, org and thumbnails. Here is a sample of component: http://www.flashmo.com/preview/flash...d_cylinder_box

Any ideas on making it, or one similar work? I would obviously need to be able to adjust settings and insert my own thumbs. Or am I beating my head against the wall in vain. I have Adobe Flash Pro CS5.5, I just don't know enough about it to make it do what I want...but playing with this is breeding familiarity, that's for sure!

If anyone knows another easier way, or a better site to find stuff like this that works with Xara, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks a million!

Matt

Depends what style you're after, but what you really need is a stand alone flash file that embeds easily.
    frobee.com is an easy one, and the results is easy to add to a Web Designer page.

But bear in mind, apple devices won't display it.

Nice one Steve, works like a charm.

Can't Apple iOS devices install a Flash player app? http://www.gizmag.com/adobe-flash-ios/19790/

Matt, try it out, you create the animation on the website so have your photos ready.

After you create your slide show or gallery and add your transitions, etc. and download the ZIP file, just link a placeholder to the .swf file.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 11 May 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Can't Apple iOS devices install a Flash player app? http://www.gizmag.com/adobe-flash-ios/19790/
    Cool..
    "All that is needed is for content publishers to shell out US$4,500 and implement the new Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5"

Thanks, guys! This is a cool one that I will keep in mind for future projects. It's not exactly what I'm looking for right now, unfortunately.

I'm trying to find a good way to display a portfolio of websites we have created, liking the idea of a carousal or something similar that displays multiple pics at a time in an eyecatching fashion.

So far I've just taken a screenshot of each and imported them onto the page. Then I've used both a mouse-over layer where the pic displays larger, and also mouse-over text. These are then linked to the url of the site.

Anyone have a better idea of something that works well for this? Obviously, this is very time consuming, but my experience setting up Flash is as well. I just like the "flashiness" of a Flash display.

Thanks for you responses. I'm hoping Xara makes some of this stuff easier in future versions. They've done an awesome job of making everything else such a breeze that this seems really difficult!

hi what you have to do is to upload all the files and folders that you downloaded inside the main folder - com - org - thumbnails folders and the other 4 files too .
    then make a placeholder in xwd and put this code in the body part

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" name="flashmo_096_3d_cylinder_box" width="800" height="600" align="middle" id="flashmo_096_3d_cylinder_box">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="flashmo_096_3d_cylinder_box.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    <embed src="flashmo_096_3d_cylinder_box.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="800" height="600" name="flashmo_096_3d_cylinder_box" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    </object>

then publish that to the same directory - then it should be working.

to change the photos just replace the photo's in the thumbnails folder keeping the same names - then re-upload the thumbnails folder

to change the text edit the xml file in notepad - save it - and re-upload it

Voila'

http://www.webz4all.co.uk/test/index.htm

thumbnails are numbered 89 =1 down to 66=24 - :-)

Thanks, Trukkerz,

I will definitely give this a shot. I knew I needed to upload the files, but couldn't figure out how to get the object to figure out where they were.

Sounds like I will still need to invest a little time to get it to look just the way I want it, but it will be worth it, I'm sure!

Thanks alot, you guys, for your help! If I get this to work, I may post the results.

Thanks, you guys, for all the ideas. I didn't have time to follow-through with trukkerz suggestions, since I would have had to redo all my thumbs and mess with settings, but I definitely want to try it in the future.

I did, however, use Steve's advice for another gallery. It works very slick, fast upload of photos and quick settings. Easily inserts into XWD and works flawlessly! See it here http://agapewebhost.com/design%20options.htm (scroll down the page.)

Thanks again...you guys saved me some hair, as I had most of it pulled out!

Matt