Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EU Cookie Law

Default Re: EU Cookie Law

I look after many websites and have only updated their privacy policy with Cookie information as below;

How we use cookies
    A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual.
    We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
    Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
    You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.

The only cookies used by "insert name" are below;

Cookie Name - Google Analytics
    Names_utma
    _utmb
    _utmc
    _utmz

Cookie Use;-
    These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where vistors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.
    Click here for an overview of privacy at Google

To be honest they are really after the sites which abuse them. Seeing as 90% of mine have only Google Analytics I am only going to use the updated Privacy and Cookie statement, I am not going to implement pop-ups or opt outs until it becomes apparent we have to. A recent survey reckons over 90% of sites will not bother at all - not even putting something in their privacy statements. This law is just another example of EU law gone mad - stupid and crazy rule which the majority will ignore.

This clarifies it;

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/04...t-from-the-ico

Putting daft pop-ups and permission opt in's are only for the bad boys - lets face it it would put many punters off visiting a site if they saw a pop-up asking you to agree!

So would you consider the official Scottish government site 'bad boys'?
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Miko, if you have links on your site you are not responsible for the linked site, just give it a small mention in your privacy policy.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    So would you consider the official Scottish government site 'bad boys'?
    Look its all being blown out of proportion, yes, have something on your site be it in your privacy doc explaining the cookies you use on the site and why they are there. Especially if its just Google Analytics and other cookies REQUIRED to enable the site to run. If your using cookies to 'target/advertise' to people then you probably need to use the 'pop-up' solution.

I consider the Scottish governments site mis-informed and not taking note of the latest advice. Do you trust the goverment

This whole thing is stupid in my opinion but until it is made fully clear in the next few months I will play safe, and as for the Scottish government; I'm sure that they have some highly qualified advisors, probably some of those advisors advised the ico, who knows, for the sake of a bit of code I would prefer to cover my own back and that of my clients, we all make decisions on how we interprete the law. Unfortunately we have to put our trust in the government, after all that is democracy; besides the government could do so very bad things if we don't obey their laws, nasty letters could come through the post, hand delivered by postman pat and his black and white cat, probably early in the morning.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The article makes one very surprising point - "In the interview with E-Consultancy, the ICO's Mr Evans said there would not be a team of investigators seeking out infringing sites, but would act on complaints"

Leaves it open to a lot of lets say for the lack of a better word - rotters, doing their duty and reporting their competitors to the ICO. This whole thing needs a serious rethink and hopefully the big players will get a u-turn on this.

The ICO have updated their policy

The ICO has also updated its policy to allow organisations to use "implied consent" to comply. This means users do not have to make an explicit choice. Instead, their continued use of a site would be taken to mean they are happy for information to be gathered.
    Source = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18206810

Saw this as well and have made the decision that the best option is to make sure that the client has a privacy policy and list the cookies used, almost always just google analytics. At least this way we wont have to have silly consent buttons to welcome prospective customers to the site.