Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Proposal for a new group typeface intiative

Hiya—

MarcT had mentioned his fondness for some of the old William Morris cuts, and I've got almost complete alphabets—Q, X and Z seem not to be popular, thus no examples to be found—for Morris, Jensen, and a few other notable resources.

They're all from the 1900 American Type Founders Cut Book, which was a catalog for printers. 112 years ago makes the contents Public Domain.

Here are a few samples, and we mustn't forget the ornaments they used. I'm not thinking "typeface" here per se—more like a collection of decorative initials to kick off a page with a drop cap, you know?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morris-and-Bradley.jpg 
Views:	824 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	89360

Name:	Jenson.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	89361

Let's please not jump in and discuss dates and who's going to do what, okay? This is a field trip!

I'd just like to hear some opinions. Christine, this might fulfill (sort of) the initiative you were tossing out about a week ago.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Proposal for a new group typeface intiative

Gary perhaps these Capitals could become additions to the Designs Gallery > Clipart > letters collection?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letters.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	89371  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Or how about a TG Collaborative Clip art Collection that could be published in the clip art gallery? Perhaps we could have as well as a .xar format (that can easily be added to the designs gallery) .pdf or .svg formats too? Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sounds good to me.

Christine

@Bill—

That's handsome artwork, those ornamental caps, for sure, Bill.
    My only reservation might be: I can't get a good look, but that appears to be stippling within the characters. If so, that would be wicked hard and time-intensive to reproduce as vectors, no?

I think it's great to provide the graphics community with ornamental caps as clipart. I suggest both XAR and PDF, because PDF is marginally easier to import into Xara, Illustrator, CorelDRAW, and possibly Inkscape, haven't checked.

I'd like to suggest a sort of balance as we move forward with group projects.

When something is way complicated, like one of the gylphs from the Burgeon set that has 4,000 control points, a reproduction is more appropriately created as a vector file.

When the gylphs are reasonably simple, I suggest going the typeface distribution route is preferred, because a typeface can be shared across platforms, and because a collection of glyphs can't be separated accidentally.

And there's no rule that the stuff we are allowed to trace has to be curve-for-curve. Here's an example of two variations on the Bradley ornamental caps I posted.

Name:	Bradley cap simplified.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	89381

My Best,

Gary