Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prevent Right Click/Save As... option from being possible?

Is there a way to prevent original images I create from being copied through "right click/save as" options? I see this on other sites, but I do not know if I can do that so easily?

Photo Copyright Protection Right Click/Save As... Prohibited Function

Thanks

Default Re: Prevent Right Click/Save As... option from being possible?

Place in the HEAD of your page

HTML Code:
    <script language=JavaScript> var message="Function Disabled!"; function clickIE4(){ if (event.button==2){ alert(message); return false; } } function clickNS4(e){ if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){ if (e.which==2||e.which==3){ alert(message); return false; } } } if (document.layers){ document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); document.onmousedown=clickNS4; } else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){ document.onmousedown=clickIE4; } document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false") </script>
    But people will always find a way if they really want your image.

There are ways - http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm for instance - but anyone who really wants the image can still easily get at it. Best thing to do I'd say is add a watermark to the image you put on display.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

People who are determined don't even care about watermarks, I have seen images on sites where the watermark has been very badly photoshoped 'out' I've even seen some where they have just left the watermark on. the dynamic drive code is good as it only disables right click for images but it says the code must go at the End of the the body tag, how would one do this on webdesigner?
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

If you use FireFox, the code is worthless. If you right click on the dynamicdrive examples with FF, you do receive the notice about right-click disabled, but, once you close that box, the normal FF right-click menu shows up allowing you to save the image to your computer. No special knowledge required!

Also, most people don't realize it, but, if a visitor is viewing your picture, they already have it on their computer. The webpage and all elements must be transferred to a visitor's computer before the page will display.

The only way to be sure no one can copy your image is not display it. Sorta like the only way to guarantee your website or your computer won't get hacked is not to have it connected to the internet.

Some preventive precautions are necessary (firewalls, passwords, secure connections) so you can connect. Other preventive precautions, in my personal opinion, like trying to protect an image from being copied is fruitless and not worth the effort. So the only way to ensure an image won't be "borrowed" would be not to display it on a webpage.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

Yeah, I know. My images would be ones that people will want to post them on forums likely if they find them. I think I'm going to just put my URL on them and call it good. This would just be free advertising. hehe

Thanks for the help guys!

And there is always this:

'Prt Scr'

one little trick i used to do was to put a transparent box over the top of the image so when somebody right clicked and saved it they would get a copy of a clear box hehehe - not foolproof though :-)

As others have said you can not really keep a determined person from getting your artwork/photos. No matter what you do at the very least they can do a Ctrl/Print Screen and then they have the image. You can't stop that no matter what you do.

Best bet is to add a copyright notice right across the face of the image. About all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by gsthunder View Post
    As others have said you can not really keep a determined person from getting your artwork/photos. No matter what you do at the very least they can do a Ctrl/Print Screen and then they have the image. You can't stop that no matter what you do.

Best bet is to add a copyright notice right across the face of the image. About all you can do.
    BRILLIANT!!! Especially if you are protecting an animated gif! Protects from FF at least -and Opera, i think. And 99.99% of people don't even know what "cash" is. hehe

Thanks!

All good suggestions but I would have to agree that having a decent watermark visible on the image is by far the best option