Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20m artwork

Default Re: 20m artwork

Thanks for the kind offer, but I won't take you up on it. I have gone the AI route so fault finding is not a priority (The printer much prefers that solution too). I've replaced all the transparencies and and psyching myself up for the clicky hell that is Illustrator :-)

Huge Regards
    Dave

After a couple of days relentless clicking my Illustrator version is complete and I have a happy printer. I ended up removing all transparencies and glows and tweaking all the colours in cmyk. The project is for Gatwick airport and I'll post some visualls once it is done and into the world.

Many thanks for the help and support. Much appreciated.

I have to say though. After using Illustrator I really fully appreciate Xara's work flow.

You have learned maybe the hard way that you have to use the right tools for certain jobs and I am not saying that D Pro is not the right tool to export to PDF. What I am saying is that for larger work for print the maybe Illy is slightly better or what I have used in the past is Freehand for banners. I do newsletters mainly for a regional health board in the UK and really they want me to use AI which I use occasionally but mainly D Pro 6 as that does me and I have no trouble with printing part even with many bitmaps. A word on Freehand MX and if you can get a copy, as it will be very cheap now, is another tool which is well worth the learning as it has multiple artboards like Xara, it handles CMYK well and it has a good text engine.
    Design is thinking made visual.

It was a sad day when Adobe decided to kill FH. Far better than AI, really.

Take care, Mike

Strangely (or not) The printers for this 27m mural print from Photoshop not Illustrator. They have a machine dedicated to that job with massive memory and daft amount of cores. Probably something to do with the fact that the high rez artwork needs to be cut in to panels that need to match up perfectly. My doing it in Illustrator was really so I could actually get it to them. Xara wouldn't export bitmaps large enough to be of use.

Mike
    It was a sad day when Adobe took over Macromedia. I don't think the creative world has benefited from that reduction of competition.

Huge Regards
    Dave