Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default upload additional file

Hi there
    I have WD7 premium and am trying to use it alone. I have been using Dreamweaver for many years.
    My problem is that having published a site I then want to upload an additional file that isn't part of the website. Maybe a slideshow or something that I want to show family or whatever. Very easy in Dreamweaver but Xara - which I like a lot - doesn't seem to be able to do it.
    Any words of advice very welcome. Thank you

Default Re: upload additional file

If the slideshow is not part of a page, you could just use FileZilla to upload it.

I'm sure an Xpert will be here, very soon, to give you an accurate answer.
    But, I think you will need a separate ftp programme to upload something that isn't part of the WD7 design.

EDIT: There you go. sledger got there a few seconds before me!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sorry, I didn't make it clear... I can still use Dreamweaver to upload additional files. I want to be able to use Xara only; if that's possible.
    I have one workaround which is just to create the file in xara and publish it with everything else but have no link to it from within the site. I also remove it from the sitelist that xara creates so's not to encouraged the robots but it is all a bit messy. Why can't I simply upload a file instead? Looks like I have to live with it...
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll have a look at filezilla and see what it has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by frightful View Post
    I want to be able to use Xara only; if that's possible.
    While Xara (the name of the company) Web Designer uses the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to publish completed web pages along with the assets you have included as part of the design, it is not an FTP client nor is it a HTML editor, or anything like Dreamweaver. There is no source view or source editor in Web Designer, in fact there is no HTML code at all until you press the 'Publish' button. ('Preview' actually publishes to a temporary folder on your HDD)
    For uploading individual files which are not part of your Web Designer design, use an FTP client such as FileZilla.

The way Web Designer works would not make it possible to just upload a new file or a new page. When you publish your site Web Designer published your html pages and then it publishes images, scripts, and other material to a folder index_html_files. The html pages reference this folder.

So if you just uploaded something that was not referenced in the html file, it will not show up.

But, Web Designer has a publish option to Re-publish changed files only (Website Properties > Publish). So you will need to make your changes in the Web Designer document and then when you republish the changes will be made.

As sledger points out, Web Designer and other Xara applications that can create and publish websites, is a WYSIWYG program. You put things on the page where you want them and Xara does the rest.

You can insert bits of code or script in the HEAD and BODY section of a page or the entire website. And you can use Placeholders, basically simple rectangles into which you insert code, to place something link a Flash animation, Google Map, etc. in a specific part of your page.

Thanks guys you have confirmed what I thought. I was asking as a last hope before resorting to Dreamweaver for additional ftp access. I shall have a look at filezilla when I get back home. Currently lazing about in Devon for the holiday weekend.
    nice forum

Quote Originally Posted by frightful View Post
    My problem is that having published a site I then want to upload an additional file that isn't part of the website.
    There's a little known (and undocumented) trick in WD7P and upwards which allows you to attach files to your xara file and have them uploaded to the index_htm_files folder when you publish. The files do not have to be visibly part of the site design for this to function.
    It was only after answering another post that I recalled this feature and thought it might help you as well.

Select any object on the page then press SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+A.
    Browse to the file you wish to attach and choose 'open'.

That file is now attached and will be published along with the rest of your site.
    It will also be embedded into the .xar or .web file which means it will always be there for publishing.
    To remove attached files, press SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+D... This will delete all files attached in this way.

Thanks Sledger. I have used this on WD7 in conjunction with some java. It does work but not quite how I want it to because it puts the files inside the folder with the index.htm files but ideally I would like them in the root. Thanks for the tip I shall have another look at the problem from that viewpoint. I didin't know of the same set of keys to delete them so thanks again.