Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default simple rules for good typography

http://www.freddesign.co.uk/2009/12/...od-typography/

I came across this and thought that this fellow makes some good points Agree? Disagree? Does anyone else have any good rules to share?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: simple rules for good typography

Good spot Frances!

Thanks for posting it.

The bullet points advice seems a bit unnatural (but maybe I've just been conditioned by Microsoft software).

I think Fred there is waxing way over the average person's head by mentioning the fibonnaci sequence! Last I heard that was on an episode of "Fringe", the almost popular sci-fi show.

Rules aremeant to be broke, but breaking them is usually the privilege of only those who understand the rules thoroughly to begin with. I disagree with text along a path (that it's not good), point size for body copy is relative to the font you use, and I agree with eliminating rivers, but Fred doesn't tell how, so I will.

In Xara, you highlight a line of text within paragraph text that has too much air, and then click the Tracking button, the right one, a few times, as long as you have force justification going on.

My own submissions:

1. Use two spaces before a paragraph to indent, or put a space between paragraphs, but not both.

2. Learn when to use its and not it's.

3. Learn the difference between their, they're and there. These are called homonyms, words that sound alike, and even college grads appear foolish in print when they don't catch basic grammar and spelling errors.

4. Run a spell checker. And then proof read how the spell checker corrected, and on occasion messed up your copy.

-g-

Good find Frances. Gare thank you for your submission, I have to agree about the fibonnaci sequence I have never heard of it nor do I understand it in relation to the discussion.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The sequence, at least in theory, has to do with the relative size of page elements. If you accept 13 units as the size of a headline and work backwards in the sequence, a Heading 2 would be 8 unites, and then perhaps text would be 5.

But the relationship between math, nature, and a civilized person's perception aren't always in synch. IOW, nice theory, but it doesn't always play.

-g-

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Another good rule, and this is something that is touched on in the comments section of the article is consistency in headings or headlines. Whether you are doing a web page or a printed page this is important. If you start out capitalizing all words in your headings don't switch to just capitalizing the first word on a new section.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.