Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: need a font

Default need a font

Does anyone have a font called Espresso Regular.
    Have to use it on a site .
    or where i can get it .

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Default Re: need a font

$30.... bit much for a title on a web page ...... ha ha ..
    Was hoping someone would know a free site ..... guess not .

Thanks Sledger

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

If you do find it on a free site, it would be a stolen font because it is still an active, copyrighted font.

Not saying you won't find it, I did. But we are doing this for a business. Passing along cost for something that "has to be used" on a web site isn't unreasonable.

Take care, Mike

Default Re: you are right

Mike - Sometimes if it's a great font you just have to bit the bullet.

I just shelled out $30 for a font yesterday that was a bold version of the font I had used in a logo and the client thought the black version was too bold. When he saw the lighter version he said he preferred the original. Life is like that.

I agree, Gary.

Being a fontoholic like I am, though, one can burn through some cash (which I do) on fonts. The plus side is I have a great selection of commercial fonts. The downside is sometimes it bites into the little savings account I add to each month for purchasing music. Both are loves of mine.

Despite the collection, I have run into the situation of a client wanting a font I do not have. Sometimes that's a great justification for another purchase though. And I always make the extra cost clear and pass along the cost in the progress billing.

Take care, Mike

And I always make the extra cost clear and pass along the cost in the progress billing.
    Good suggestion Mike. If the client cannot supply a vector copy of the art, logo, etc. then they should pay the legitimate expense of the font.

I'm a sucker for elegant script fonts, and I am still hoping that Xara will add glyph support so we can have access to the ligatures and swash caps and alternative characters.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerawlinson View Post
    $30.... bit much for a title on a web page ...... ha ha ..
    Was hoping someone would know a free site ..... guess not .

Thanks Sledger

Mike
    Mike, $30 is a fairly typical fee for a designer font these days. If money is an issue and you are willing to be open to alternatives, one thing you could do is search around eBay and even Amazon, for an older physical version of CorelDRAW, which around version 5 or 6 or so, came with over 1,000 commercial typefaces. I have seen the disks for $25, which for a larder of typefaces is better than $30 for one font.

Now, I cannot say what the license is for the fonts, but they came from Bitstream which is now owned by Monotype. Me, I'd look around for a similar font at a lower price. Lydian Cursive is by no means identical, but as you can see here, the "feeling" is quite similar. As is Caterina, and Apple Chancery is vaguely related as a calligraphic typeface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternative.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	89914

You just look around and obviously, the members here have good suggestions and are a good resource.

My Best,

Gary