Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nav Button Question

I had to make my own navbar of sorts as I couldn't come up with what I wanted visually in either WD7 or WebStyle 4 using the pre designed navbar templates. It is made up of 3 pieces to achieve the look I am after....

1 - blank navbar like image for the base that is sort of an extension of the page info area. It is divided by lines that make sort of a tab effect across the top( similar to < text < text < text < etc... ).

2 - placed text on mouse-off layer for the various things/categories I want.

3 - the text is replicated( different color )on the mouse-over layer and is grouped with an image that fills in between the < < < areas in a different color than they appear on the empty navbar image.

4 - with mouse-off and mouse-over layers both visible each section of the navbar is soft grouped.

5 - the desired link is then applied to the corresponding soft group.

This achieved the look I was after( mouse-over shown different than mouse-off in the tab/area for that specific thing )and it works fine. It is eaxctly what I wanted for a look except for one thing. The mouse-over layer is always highlighted on the page you are on. Is there anyway to correct that easily so that it shows the mouse-off state?

I really don't want to have to redo all of this. Took me forever to do what I have done. I just don't care for the page you are on being highligted in the navbar. I can live with it but would prefer not to have to.

Thanks as always for any help you can provide me.

Default Re: Nav Button Question

GS - A picture is worth a thousand words (actually your post is only 295 words--but who's counting?)

I'm confident that whatever it is you have in mind, can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    GS - A picture is worth a thousand words (actually your post is only 295 words--but who's counting?)

I'm confident that whatever it is you have in mind, can be done.
    Boy, and I thought I did a good job explaining it. Darn.

Pretty simple really.

Here is what I mean that I did and want in a mouse-over state...
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...seoverwant.jpg

Unfortunately, it results in the mouse-over layer for the page you are on showing the whole time the page is open plus when you try and use the navbar to go somewhere else you end up with 2 highlighted areas and it look awful IMO. I don't want this( Home Page highlighted because that is the page I am on - Feedback highlighted because I am doing mouse-over )...
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...useovernow.jpg

I want this in the mouse-off state not what is shown in the 1st photo which is actually mouse-off on that page...
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...r/mouseoff.jpg

I used the steps outlined in my 1st post to do this. Works exactly as I want other than the mouse-over layer showing all the time on the page you are on.

If you know anyway to fix this I would appreciate it.

Thanks as always.

Hi GSThunder

Use the "link to web" field to bypass the current page highlighting, don't forget to un-check "correct automatically"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gshighlight.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	88958  

gs - Sorry, I have been away most of the day enjoying our fine New Mexico spring.

I have built a nav bar based on your three images. I have added a MouseDown state which identifies the selected page. The Mouse Off and Mouse Over are different images.

But for some reason, MX is making me crazy and it is not displaying the buttons correctly on any page but the first.

It is now time for me to join my long-suffering spouse on the deck for a glass on wine so I might not be able to get this sorted into the morning.

Attached is a screen shot to show the mouse off, mouse over, and current page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nav bar.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	88962  

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Hi GSThunder

Use the "link to web" field to bypass the current page highlighting, don't forget to un-check "correct automatically"
    Drwd;

That was it. THANK YOU! I actually had tried that before but it failed. Unchecking the correct automatically box seems to be what it was. Truly appreciate it.

gs - Sorry, I have been away most of the day enjoying our fine New Mexico spring.

I have built a nav bar based on your three images. I have added a MouseDown state which identifies the selected page. The Mouse Off and Mouse Over are different images.

But for some reason, MX is making me crazy and it is not displaying the buttons correctly on any page but the first.

It is now time for me to join my long-suffering spouse on the deck for a glass on wine so I might not be able to get this sorted into the morning.

Attached is a screen shot to show the mouse off, mouse over, and current page.
    gwpriester;

Absolutely nothing to apologize over. You are one of the most helpful people here and I truly appreciate all the help you have given me as I have learned Xara over these past few years.

Drwyd above actually solved the issue and the navbar works as I want it to now. I almost got it myself experiementing but missed unchecking the box it appears.

I am sorry you spent time on this. I never intended for you or anyone to try and recreate my navbar or anything. Very nice of you.

Not so fast. This one comes under the category of make the hard ones look easy and the easy ones look hard.

I used negative spacing to get the buttons to align and I have a MouseDown state for the highlighted page.

No need to apologize. I love a challenge like this and I would have spent a week if necessary getting it to work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not so fast. This one comes under the category of make the hard ones look easy and the easy ones look hard.

I used negative spacing to get the buttons to align and I have a MouseDown state for the highlighted page.

No need to apologize. I love a challenge like this and I would have spent a week if necessary getting it to work.
    The only problem with your navbar is that the page you are on is highlighted which I did not want. I only want it highlighted on mouseover.

Using Drwyd's fix above made what I have now work exactly as I want.

Thanks again for all your help.

Negative spacing why didn't I think of that. Brilliant Gary, gonna play with that now