Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guest Guest

Default right aligned web-page

Hi All,
    I'm considering to try out a right-aligned website but am not a Web-Coder. As I knew that there is the
    Left-Aligned tweak I thought it might work to just replace all instances of "Left" in the Page-Header-Script
    but there seems to be a little more to it. It did not work. Can someone help?

<script type="text/javascript">function my_lres(e){if(my_loldres)my_loldres(e);xr_xr.style .marginLeft="0px";xr_xr.style.left="0px";xr_dx=0;d ocument.body.style.backgroundPosition="0px 0px";};var my_loldres=0;window.onload=my_llod;function my_llod(){my_loldres=window.onresize;window.onresi ze=my_lres;my_lres();};</script>

Guest Guest

Default Re: right aligned web-page

Btw: besides being unconventional: Does anyone see functional limitations of Right-Aligned (in terms of not being displayed correctly?).
    How do Left and Right Aligned Pages load on Mobile Devices for instant? Are there any problems to expect? Is there any trick to simulate
    output to such Devices which on can use in XaraDesigner?

The origin point in web browsers is top-left. Changing things to right doesn't work because of this.
    To align right you need some dynamic code that detects the how far from the origin the right is and this would depend on many factors.
    It's unconventional and you don't see it because, well... what's the point?

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The origin point in web browsers is top-left. Changing things to right doesn't work because of this.
    To align right you need some dynamic code that detects the how far from the origin the right is and this would depend on many factors.
    It's unconventional and you don't see it because, well... what's the point?

Oh bummer - that seems like bad news / a complicated solution.
    I think that left aligned and right aligned are definedly worth beeing re-considered in times where fast Internet-Connections are a standard.
    On now can use individually created (centered and non-scolling) Page-Background as quite an important Design-Element of single pages.

Trying such a Design with a centered page is pretty limiting as the left and right margins are pretty narrow - non centered makes more sense
    here. Personally - from a Design point of view I would rather read on the right side and place Background Graphics to the left. That's why I
    thought of Right Alignment. Does that now make at least some sense to you?

Do you have experiences how non-centered pages look on Ipads and such?

Thanks Sledger!

Most web sites are centred because of the desire to balance the page within it's web browser context. Right aligning upsets the balance - particularly for western viewers who are taught to read from left to right.

I think you don't see right-aligned websites for a very good reason.

I don't follow why internet speeds are relevant to alignment.

Guest Guest

Hi Pauland,
    Right aligning upsets the balance - particularly for western viewers who are taught to read from left to right.
    sorry, I solely asked for technical advise here, I'm not interested in leading a Usability-Discussion.
    I'm convinced one could create highly attractive and inviting right-aligned Websites.

I don't follow why internet speeds are relevant to alignment.
    Only some years ago one had to be very economic with kilobytes. That was one of the reasons why
    mostly tiled or uni-colored backgrounds were in use. Nowadays as one is no longer bound by bandwith-limitations
    one can also use individually created Page-Backgrounds to support the Content of a single page.
    It no longer has to serve as a neutral backplate or invitation for a romantic mood (aka dawn+palm-trees) but that may
    mean that Background-Images have considerable size in kb. But using that option works better if the Page is off center.
    Is this a bit clearer now?

This is a sample page for Left-Aligned which somewhat demonstrates this principle. It of course could be applied to right-aligned.

You could use the left aligned page tweak and then create a very long horizontal website like this
    http://www.clholloway.co.za/

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    You could use the left aligned page tweak and then create a very long horizontal website like this
    http://www.clholloway.co.za/
    Thanks but that is again something entirely else

I was not aware that right-aligned causes technical problems.
    So, if there's no easy fix I rather use left aligned instead.

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    Hi Pauland,

sorry, I solely asked for technical advise here, I'm not interested in leading a Usability-Discussion.
    That's the trouble with open forums, people often don't do as you expect or want them to. You might not be interested, but others may be, or they can just politely ignore my comment.

Only some years ago one had to be very economic with kilobytes. That was one of the reasons why
    mostly tiled or uni-colored backgrounds were in use. Nowadays as one is no longer bound by bandwith-limitations
    one can also use individually created Page-Backgrounds to support the Content of a single page.
    It no longer has to serve as a neutral backplate or invitation for a romantic mood (aka dawn+palm-trees) but that may
    mean that Background-Images have considerable size in kb. But using that option works better if the Page is off center.
    Is this a bit clearer now?
    Maybe clearer for you, but it has no relevance to how a page is aligned.

This is a sample page for Left-Aligned which somewhat demonstrates this principle. It of course could be applied to right-aligned.
    Yes, I'm familiar, suprisingly, with the notion of left-alignment.

I know polyxo isn't interested in a Usability discussion, but others may wish to check out the csszen garden. This does feature some designs that use right-handed menus and the like. You will find that these are not actually right-aligned designs, but fluid designs that will balance the page, either at the centre, or across the entire width (regardless of browser size). This kind of adaptability comes from CSS layouts and is not possible out of the box with Xara.

Thanks but that is again something entirely else
    I forgot to add the smile and wink emoticons