Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

WD6 Can Disqus comment system be added to Xara created website?

I am trying to implement Disqus to my website @ www.brainstream.us and have been unsuccessful I was wondering if anyone could give a tutorial or some answer as to if it can be implemented at all? Please feel free to comment as I have been trying for a month now also searching the web and could find no answer what so ever.

Thank You,
    Knixson

Default Re: Can Disqus comment system be added to Xara created website?

The Disqus code is unsuitable for static (fixed) height websites.
    The dynamic page tweak is unsuitable because disqus dynamically resizes the content after the page is loaded and after a new comment is added.
    The tweak is only suitable for scripts which modify page height before it is opened.

I use it. I limit the comments per page and it runs well

Yes, in a fixed size placeholder with comments limited to fit, it should work in a similar way that an iframe would.

Thank you so much for your input. Both of you. It is greatly appreciated. Tech Media I do not mean to be a pain in the butt, but could you please explain to me in detail how you got it work. Like a tutorial or could you direct me to one. From what I got from you is one the Disqus admin page you configure the comments. How many did you limit it too. Thanks again for replying and any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, let's see an example TM.
    I have just tried this approach and can't really see much value in it because the issue with using pagination (limiting comments) with Disqus and a placeholder in Xara is that you cannot know how long each post might be. You are constrained to a fixed position and size when using placeholders, they are not dynamic.
    So for example, 5 posts of one or two lines of comments are going to be much shorter than 5 posts with more than 6 lines of comments and attached images. Allowing room for this will be difficult and you could end up with either lots of white space or partially missing posts due to overflowing the placeholder area.
    The dynamic page tweak is still not suitable even with pagination owning to the sizing being modified by Disqus after your page is loaded.
    Yes, you can collapse individual comments, but this will not make your xara page shrink or grow to accommodate any new sizing done by Disqus..

But, I'm ready to be shown I'm wrong