Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Smile Would like some recommendations on website appearance

Hi....

I have made a number of changes to my website (adding contact list and mailing lists). Per Angelize, I standardized the position of my banner.. I would appreciate any comments on the appearance now that I think I am through for a while.

Here are a couple of issues, down the road that I will need advice on:

1) my navigation bar is getting long. My plans are to add two more groups of webpages to describe the types of wood that I use in woodturning, as well as a storefront (at some point). What alternatives would you recommend to avoid running a bar completely across the page?

2) I purchased widget pack 1 today in order to set up a slideshow on the home page (at some point). If I were to do that, would you think it is going to make the homepage too busy?

3) My wife and I are looking at a logo for our business and I'd like to put it on the webpage, but I am concerned that it wouldn't line up properly with the font and format of the banner. Here are the four logos that we are looking at. I am wondering if I need to put the logo on the website at all (although I would like to at some point).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoppersNstuff_CustomLogoDesign_opt03.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	90449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoppersNstuff_CustomLogoDesign_opt02.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	90450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoppersNstuff_CustomLogoDesign_opt01.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	90451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoppersNstuff_CustomLogoDesign_opt04.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	90452

I really appreciate the suggestions that have been given, and they have helped tremendously in making the website a friendlier place to visit.

Thanks in advance for any observations, suggestions, and criticisms you may have.

Sincerely,

Dave

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Would like some recommendations on website appearance

Hi Dave, first we need a link

As for the logos they are all quite nice although the one with the stump appeals to me, perhaps it might fit in better with a different font.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

My apologies for omitting the website.... www.stoppersnstuff.net.

We like all of the logos... What type of font were you thinking of with respect to the one with the stump?

Dave

Hi Dave

I like the second logo. The text is clear and it would reproduce well on a variety of media. (for example: metallic effect labels for your products.)

"About me" and "My craft" could be combined into either one page or one button/drop-down.

Same with "Contact Me" and "Mailing Sign-up"

Hi Drwyd....

Thsnks for the great suggestion about combining those webpages... I'll work on that this weekend.

With respect to the logo... My favorites are the first three. I like the tree within the circle, the second logo because it is simple and elegent, and the third because it reflects that I am doing something with wood (although it was pointed out to me that the environmentally-inclined might take offense...lol). I'm not sure what we will decide upon.

If I use the widget from widget pack 1 to build a slideshow, do you think it will overwhelm the contents of the first page? I would like to add some splash to the home page to keep the vistor's attention.

I really appreciate all of the assistance that everyone on the board has provided me during this process. All of you out here are great!

Dave

Regards to the navigation bar. I would break the bar down into the most basic parts of your site, maybe 5 buttons, then use sub menus to branch out.

I like the second and last logo designs. Though I am not sure that any of these reflect the style of wood turning you do. Your work is spare and has a Shaker elegance to it. Maybe something that comes from that would be more appropriate.

i really like you second logo, its so soft and makes it look little on the eye but great job on all