Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Pop-up gallery questions

I'm working on a gallery for my new website and I'm trying to get something similar to this website. I'm also following Gary's Workbook 90 at the bottom of the page where you uses pop-up layers for each image. My two questions are the following:

1. When a thumbnail is clicked the popup layer appears but I'd also like for the page to scroll up to the top area where it will appear. I assume I need some kind of a named anchor--could be the word Portfolio?--but I don't know how to achieve this effect. I can only add the link for the popup on the thumbnail. How can I get both?

2. Since each of the popups are on their own layer and only appear when clicking on their thumbnail link, the area at the top of the page below the word Portfolio is blank. How can I put one of the images at the top when the page opens and then have it replaced each time a new thumbnail is clicked?

I won't even ask how I'd achieve having the option of Filters like he has on his page, I think that would be a trip to accomplish--different popups for each category?

Edit: I figured out how to solve #2. I put an image and text on the Mouse-Off layer and then on all the popup layers pasted a rectangle the same color as my page and put it to the back. It may not be the best solution but at least it works.
    Last edited by ZEBtoonz; 28 April 2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: One solution found.

Default Re: Pop-up gallery questions

ZEB - I was hoping that if I waited long enough you would answer your first question too. :-)

I am not sure if there is a way to get the page to scroll up as you are requesting and link at the same time to the pop up layer.

What you might want to do is reconsider your page design so that the thumbs and pop-up layers are on the top of the page.

I'm sure sledger or drwyd or one of the more tech savvy people might have an answer closer to what you are asking.

For your #1, being that the site is a WordPress site, the javascript used for scrolling to the top is using a named DIV.

Unfortunately, as I don't use Xara for web sites, I don't know if it is possible to roll-in that (or another) javascript solution.

Take care, Mike

Thanks, Gary! Well, on another thread, Steve suggested I take a look at #10 on this page: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...anced-features But then, I replied, "Well, my popup layers were already named popup and so I tried adding (lock) to one layer. Now it stays locked, but I don't like that I have to add a Close button to switch to another image." So I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but it is not like the effect I mentioned on Cedric's site.

What do you mean by "the thumbs and pop-up layers are on the top of the page"? If you look at this site when you hover over a thumbnail there is a link to his website address plus a /#. Hmmmm, I wonder what that is?

For the scrolling back to the top, I have used named anchors such as Top so that when you click on a link at the bottom of the page it brings you back to the top but I haven't figured out how to do that with Xara yet.

I see there are a couple of replies coming into my email so maybe all my questions are being answered as I ramble on--ha!