Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Import FTP profiles from WD7P into WDMXP

Is there a way of importing the FTP profiles I have in my WD7P for my collection of websites into the new version WDXMP? The information is obviously stored within the prgram rather than in the individual website files but I cannot locate where it is hidden.

Default Re: Import FTP profiles from WD7P into WDMXP

I just opened a .xar website file created in Designer Pro 7 in Web Designer MX. The Designer Pro file had the publish information saved with the file.

When I tried to publish the same site from Web Designer MX the publish information was remembered.

So, unless I am missing something here, I think the FTP publish info is stored in the .web or .xar file and should be available when you open and publish from MX. You may need to select a profile in the Website Properties > Publish file first.

Sadly it is not in the .web file; nor can it be becuase the .web file is website specific. When you click on the File>Publish website>Profiles>drop down menu you get (or should get!) a list of all the profiles you have saved for all the different websites. That is the reason the information must be contained in a core file somewhere in the main proram. This is the file I want transferred to the new version of the program; not an unreasonable requirement I would have thought!!

What I think you may be doing is having the FTP information saved in your files, something Xara warn against doing for security reasons (but nevertheless provide the facility!)

I'm not sure where the profiles are stored. Hopefully one of the Xara developers will provide an answer.

I'm continueing to look around on my hard drive to find the one I created. I will post back when I find something that may help.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

FTP profile settings are optionally written to the file (embedded), otherwise they are saved in the Windows registry

eg;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesignerPremium \8.0\Options\FTPprofiles\User Settings1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profiles.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	89080

Note that the profiles dropdown in the Publish dialogue will list other profiles previously saved to the registry even if the current document has an embedded profile.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 26 April 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Dear Sledger,
    That's a wonderful bit of news - I had feeling deep in my soul that it was in the registry somewhere. Now the cruncher question - how do I change things so that I can see it in WDXMP?

The only way to export from an earlier version and import into MX is to save the settings to the current document in the earlier version, then open that file in MX and and choose the 'Save in profile' option. This should then create the new key in the registry for MX.
    Repeat this for each profile you want to migrate to MX.

Hi Shrappers, Try this :-

1. Create an empty file in WD7
    2. Apply a publishing profile to it
    3. Set it to save details and password
    4. Save the file
    5. Open in WDMX
    6. Save in profile
    7. Delete empty file or re use for other profiles

Sledger was quicker

This really discourages use of ftp profiles. Since experiencing the same problem when upgrading from Designer Pro v6 to v7 I've been saving ftp details in the xar files to avoid this problem again when upgrading. As long as you're not distributing the files you should be fine but hopefully someday they make it easy to bring ftp profiles accross from version to version.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Would seem easy enough to keep a folder of purpose made and appropriately named .web or .xar files with each profile embedded for the use as I explained above?
    eg: [profile]_xt-cms.web - [profile]_zensushi.web and so on..
    Once you get a new version installed, open the profile file and then hit the 'save to profile' button in the publish tab of web properties - unless you have hundreds of FTP profiles it's quickly done.