Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 How can I resync HTML files that were edited in another editor with an WDP7 project?

I'm having some major issues with using WDP7 and it's Widgets feature. One of the problems I'm finding is that Widgets in WDP7 don't work as expected. When I copy and paste the code into the web pages's HTML BODY placeholder, save it, and launch a preview of the website, it freezes up. So, as a workaround, I've been editing the index.htm file by, using NotePad++, grabbing the code I copied, and pasting it in before the </body> tag. When I edit the HTML file (index.htm) this way, my widget works. Since I've use an external editor, I cannot publish the changes I've made inside of WDP7. I have to use FileZilla instead.

So, my question is this: If I edit index.htm, can I resync or merge the changes I made with my WDP7 project files?

You can look at the source code by right clicking on the page, and choose the view source command in your browser.

Darel

Default Re: How can I resync HTML files that were edited in another editor with an WDP7 proje

It would be a better approach to find out why the placeholders aren't working as you expect. It can't be that hard to do.

Use a placeholder to try and add your code. Generate the page and see how that compares to what you expected/edited by hand.

If it's still a mystery I'm sure someone here will have the right answer if you can be more specific.

Paul

Default Re: How can I resync HTML files that were edited in another editor with an WDP7 proje

Paul, I want the index.htm I changed imported back into the WDP7 project. Why? Because there is a huge difference (HTML wise) between what I currently see in WDP7 and what is published on the Web.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It would be a better approach to find out why the placeholders aren't working as you expect. It can't be that hard to do.

Use a placeholder to try and add your code. Generate the page and see how that compares to what you expected/edited by hand.

If it's still a mystery I'm sure someone here will have the right answer if you can be more specific.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dejohnny View Post
    Paul, I want the index.htm I changed imported back into the WDP7 project. Why? Because there is a huge difference (HTML wise) between what I currently see in WDP7 and what is published on the Web.
    You won't be importing HTML back into WDP7.

there is a huge difference (HTML wise) between what I currently see in WDP7 and what is published on the Web.

I have no idea what that means. Show us.

Paul, I want the index.htm I changed imported back into the WDP7 project.
    Web Designer isn't a HTML editor, so you won't be able to bring the index.html back in with your external code changes.

Why? Because there is a huge difference (HTML wise) between what I currently see in WDP7 and what is published on the Web.
    Well, as there is no HTML internally with Web Designer during design mode, there cannot be any HTML comparison.
    All HTML is generated on export/publish. Aside from HTML snippets you add via placeholders, none exists in the Web Designer design document.

Thumbs down Re: How can I resync HTML files that were edited in another editor with an WDP7 proje

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Web Designer isn't a HTML editor, so you won't be able to bring the index.html back in with your external code changes.

Well, as there is no HTML internally with Web Designer during design mode, there cannot be any HTML comparison.
    All HTML is generated on export/publish. Aside from HTML snippets you add via placeholders, none exists in the Web Designer design document.
    I really love WDP7 for giving me the capability to design nice looking webpages. But, I hate the fact that you can't bring in HTML that you've tweaked in another editor!

I don't think this is right tool to use for any real serious work. I don't like the way WDP7 hides your written content inside files in other folders. Search Engines won't be able see that content.

I don't think this is right tool to use for any real serious work.
    A lot of people here prove that is nonsense.

I don't like the way WDP7 hides your written content inside files in other folders.
    It doesn't hide anything.

Search Engines won't be able see that content.
    That's nonsense.

I don't like the way WDP7 hides your written content inside files in other folders.
    Please explain ?