Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When attempting to load or import CorelDraw files I get the message "That file is not recognized by any of the installed filters" The XaraX site says "It supports all the common graphics formats, such as bitmap types like GIF, JPEG, BMP and PNG, as well as vector types like AI (Adobe Illustrator) and CDR (CorelDRAW) - and some that are not so well known." So what's the deal? Does it support CorelDraw files or not?

When attempting to load or import CorelDraw files I get the message "That file is not recognized by any of the installed filters" The XaraX site says "It supports all the common graphics formats, such as bitmap types like GIF, JPEG, BMP and PNG, as well as vector types like AI (Adobe Illustrator) and CDR (CorelDRAW) - and some that are not so well known." So what's the deal? Does it support CorelDraw files or not?

Import/Export to/from Draw/Xara X1 CMX 16 or 32 works just fine in most cases. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Nope, been there done that...it tells me it's not a CorelDraw CDR file...I assure you it is...created and saved CorelDraw CDR file. Maybe the CorelDraw I'm using is too old, I use version 9. A friend of mine has either v11 or 12 I'll get a file from him and see if that's the problem. What version are you using?

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I just tried opening a cdr created with CD10 -- sad to report it wouldn't open in X1 either. I then tried saving in CorelDraw's cmx format. X1 had no problem opening it. Until Xara Ltd. gets the import filter fixed you might have to use the cmx format.

Regards, Ross

Yes, I'm with Ross, re-save your file as a .CMX file from CorelDraw and it should open fine in Xara X1 then. CMX has been a standard in most versions of Draw that I have used in the past, since 9 I believe.

I currently have Draw 12. I mostly use if for testing and what not. Nothing serious.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Thanks Ross, I tried that and it worked for the most part. I still think that it should import CorelDraw CDR files if Xara is advertising it as a feature of their product. Are they misleading us or is something broken they don't know about? BTW I tried a corel 11 CDR file with the same results...it don't work.

Folks,

By its very name CMX (Corel Metafile Exchange) format IS the file format that Corel Corp. has authorized for file translation not CDR. At least that's what I've been told by Corel Corp.

CDR filters that other apps have are probably for very old versions of CorelDRAW maybe version 7 but most likely version 5 (or maybe 3?).

Until Corel revises their CMX capabilties, Xara can't do much of anything about it.

I may be all wet but I believe, in the future, there would be better luck in focusing on improving the filters for EPS/PDF.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

and adding a dwg/dxf import filter...

After doing some experimenting I found XaraX will load/import CDR files saved from version 5 and earlier of CorelDraw...after that you are forced to use CMX files exported from CorelDraw. The CDR files work much better than the CMX files, so if you can save from CorelDraw to a version 5 (you can in v9) you are much better off with the results using the CDR file rather than the CMX file. Thanks for all your input!