Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Problems with even Strokes

I cannot get the stroke even on this shape I designed. I used two copies of the design. I stroked the bottom one with a 10px stroke to get the outside blue. The top image has a white stroke of 4px with a blue inside. If I do this same approach with a ciricle it always works, but if I apply it to an odd shape I can never get it even. Can anyone help me? I am not sure how to go about this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Builders.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	89085
    IP

Default Re: Problems with even Strokes

This is a job for the contour tool (Ctrl+F7)

See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sschlager.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	89087  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Hi Steve, this is really an Illustrator problem.
    @ sschlager: Hi and welcome to the Forum. I'm not hot on Illy, but I've attached something that seems to work.
    Peter (Albacore) will be along in due course and he will either confirm my method or show you a simpler way of doing this.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	89091  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Hi Steve, this is really an Illustrator problem.
    I'm a goose..
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm a goose..
    Easily done, Steve. Just like using the Contour Tool in Xara Designer Pro - a lot easier than the rigmarole I posted above!
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I knew there had to be a less convoluted way of doing this in Illustrator. Thanks for explaining this, Peter. I have searched loads of tutorials for achieving the contour effect in Illustrator without success. My usual approach is to do it in Xara Designer Pro and export it as a .pdf file to Illustrator just to avoid using the method I explained in my original post.
    Thanks again,
    Bob.
    IP

To me this is just using one shape and then going to Object and then down to Path and then going out and selecting "Offset Path". If you have set your Preferences to pix then the offset will also be in pix. I would have used the Pathfinder Tool to join 2 modified rounded rectangles together to get your shape then you will need to do this again to your Offset Path shape as it will come up again as 2 modified rectangles. That's the way I would have done it anyway to get your shape and holding shift and the hitting "add shape" in the pathfinder.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP