Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to make remake a object/picture and make it editable

Hello, I am new to software programs and I am going to be doing sum cnc woodgraving and Im trying to use the coreldraw and photoshop x6 to duplicate objects, pictures. I want to take a color picture which is not editabe upon importing and make a near exact duplicate in black and white and be able to edit it also. I dont know if I have to use corel draw or photoshop or both. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on this or could you guide me thru the process of doing such a project? For example, if I wanted to take a non-editabe color cartoon pic of an elephant and duplicate it into a black and white (stencil) that was editable, how would this be done?
    IP

Default Re: How to make remake a object/picture and make it editable

Okay, so I have taken my photo/picture and in photoshop I have turned it to black and white in line mode and then used the eraser and paintbrush to highlight what i want to be cut out and not cut in my woodgraving project but now I cannot open this with corel draw x6. How do I open images with corel x6, do i have to save them in a special format or what. It is saved as a cpt so far. Everytime i open corel draw and try to import something it says that it cannot. Sorry if this is so trivial but I have never used any of these programs. thanks in advance
    IP

sorry what is 'cpt'

formats for images you can try are:

PSD
    PNG
    TIFF

do not use JPG [JPEG]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hi Lishmantr

I don't often browse down to the Corel stuff but wondered whether you had resolved things yet. I stopped routinely upgrading my Corel software at version 9 (still works fine...) but I think I can guess what's causing you an issue. Since you talk about having a *.cpt file I assume you are using PhotoPaint rather than Photoshop - CPT being the main native bitmap file format for PhotoPaint. If Corel X6 still works anything like all the previous versions I'm familiar with, you won't be able to open the file in CorelDraw, but instead you need to create a new empty CorelDraw file and then IMPORT your CPT image into it. It than then be resaved as a native CorelDraw file.

I'm afraid you're going to have to get your head round the fundamental differences between bitmap images (collections of pixels arranged in a grid, such a digital photographs) and vector images which are what CorelDraw and other drawing programs use - which are basically instructions to create objects on the page, and are therefore scalable without loss of quality. Try Googling for a better explanation than mine of bitmap vs vector.

Jon
    IP