Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Here's a space ship I modelled in Truespace6 (I showed this before in another scene).

Here's a larger view

http://www.dkingdesign.com/space/Starship_near_star.jpg

Rather than model and render the scene in Truespace , I set the backgrond as a flat colour and rendered that way. Then I opened that image in Painter6 and selected the solid background and inverted the selection to get just the ship. I pasted this onto a starfield image and added a nebula layer, a star and a couple planets all done in Painter6.

I guess the act of doing everything in a 3d app is quite tedious to me and there were technical problems with lighting and some geometry issues causing square spots on the round planet. I just started wondering why I should go through that when doing that stuff in 2d would have been easier for me. Anyway doing the ship model in a 3d app and then the rest in Painter6 was a lot more fluid a process and easier on my nerves

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

Here's a space ship I modelled in Truespace6 (I showed this before in another scene).

Here's a larger view

http://www.dkingdesign.com/space/Starship_near_star.jpg

Rather than model and render the scene in Truespace , I set the backgrond as a flat colour and rendered that way. Then I opened that image in Painter6 and selected the solid background and inverted the selection to get just the ship. I pasted this onto a starfield image and added a nebula layer, a star and a couple planets all done in Painter6.

I guess the act of doing everything in a 3d app is quite tedious to me and there were technical problems with lighting and some geometry issues causing square spots on the round planet. I just started wondering why I should go through that when doing that stuff in 2d would have been easier for me. Anyway doing the ship model in a 3d app and then the rest in Painter6 was a lot more fluid a process and easier on my nerves

...and the result looks superb David..

btw, there is truly no shame in utilizing a 2D app when creating any scene... it's the end result that counts... and this one is sweet

Thanks

I guess the reason I was attempting to do it all in truespace was because I am doing s series of animated scenes which I will "splice" together (with sound!) into a full scene with changing view of the ship. So in that case , it will have to be done all in 3d (not this scene though).

Anyway, for now I think I'll pose this ship and use it for some more scenes done in 2d.

This is what got me interested in 3D Dave... liking to doodle toon characters I saw quickly that it would be a ton of work to put any large project together have to redraw every frame ... enter 3D...

and yea, 2D is the go to for many things...

sure is fun eh ?

looking forward...

Here's another pose (new lights in Truespace and rendered there). Again selected off the ship from the rendered bitmap and did the background in Painter6

this is fun ... ... I think I'll do a few more

Here it is larger

http://www.dkingdesign.com/space/starship_front_on.jpg

Cool

I sometimes do a series as well.

Stu.

Your stuff looks superb and Gidgit's right, whatever it takes to get that final output out there.

Really really great. I like the second one the best but the first one, the ship mostly, is a very moody looking view. Makes me think of "Aliens" the movie!

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

render of the ship and background David.I love the texture you have on the ship and your star field is one of the best I have seen.

Mike

Very real looking ... nice job