Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Group project - Newsletter template

I'd like to propose a new group project, a newsletter template. As Mike suggested here. We could do a simple 4 page double spread laid out for print ( so you would actually have 2 double spreads in folios to produce a newsletter that could be printed and folded and if we want we could lay it out so it could be easily converted to four single pages for web/email distribution as a pdf)

Some of the things we would need to come up with would be: a fictitious business or group the newsletter would be for, A logo and/or nameplate, text styles that will be saved with the .xar, and colour scheme

Perhaps the newsletter template could be made available for a free download some where on the forum, perhaps the clipart forum?

Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Group project - Newsletter template

Great start on suggestions, Frances.

I'll mull things over tonight when I get home and come up with taking your ideas further. I think that once ideas are down on "paper" that while they may not be used, it can help hone the concepts into ones a group can get behind. The beginning is, I think, picking an industry, then perhaps a particular business type within the industry, a name, etc. Those things can suggest the colors, suggest shapes of design elements, etc.

Take care, Mike

Sounds great Mike. Anyone else have any thoughts on this or would be interested in participating in this project?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

It would be a learning experience for me so in that vain I would be interested. Not sure what kind of help I could be but count me in.
    Last edited by wizard509; 09 June 2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    a fictitious business or group...?
    Here's a start then!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	too.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	90087  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Ok, some thoughts.

Rik's business name is as good as any for use I suspect. Would still like to see some more. I think that we can attack this from two directions.

(1) Business name, then thrash around what the business does. It's focus.
    (2) What the business does, it's focus. Then derive a business name.

I suspect more business name development follow the business concept, the what it does. As we have a good name already proposed, I say let's run with it.

So what does Orbit do? Is it a political action committee? A service organization? Does it make a product(s)--or is it an umbrella corporation that houses many product brands?

I think we could drop the tag line in Rik's illustration until we know what Orbit is. I do like the logo in Rik's illustration, however, it may not be appropriate. What does it communicate about Orbit? Does it advance (in a readily communicate the organization, service or products) what Orbit is, what it does or its involvement in the world? Answers should come after we discover what Orbit is all about.

Take care, Mike

I think we should decide first on the business or it could be a group (but let's stay away from anything political ) Here are some suggestions to get everyone started

An animal rescue charity
    -it could be a monthly newsletter for it's members
    A real estate company
    A bakery
    An organic farm
    -this could be a general produce farm or a specific kind of farm
    A gardening or horticultural group
    A neigbourhood Newsletter
    -I am thinking of apartment/condo complexes or a community living/manufactured home complex where you have both building/landowners and residents represented in the newsletter

Or the newsletter could be the business and it could have content and advertising (yes I know this sounds a lot like my business, but the newsletter could be specific and different in its content.) It could for example be about dogs and it could have articles about caring for a dog or about the history of specific breeds and it could have advertising for fictitious businesses such as vets, groomers, pet supply stores etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'The Orbit Organisation' is a global charity organisation... It's not political.
    Does the name 'Red Cross' actually say what it is, if you didn't know?
    So, it depends what you want to read in a name?!

Anyway, I enjoy playing with this sort of stuff, so, here's another!

Name:  madeup.png
Views: 631
Size:  4.3 KB

You can make up, what ever you want for this company!

But, if you guys want to come up with your company name, then I can see if there's anything that comes to my mind for it?

EDIT: Didn't want to take up another post so here's probably a last one from me!
    Name:  wa.png
Views: 652
Size:  7.0 KB
    Last edited by Rik; 09 June 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Rik I like both of those. Somehow I like "The Made up company" that could be just about anything we want, they both could for that matter.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Rik I like both of those. Somehow I like "The Made up company" that could be just about anything we want, they both could for that matter.
    Thanks for your comments, Larry.
    My wife likes 'The MadeUP Company' as well.
    So, if you've got a bit of money, she'll turn it into a business!