Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manor: A Bouton typeface in the Works

Let me throw something out, as long as Round Head might be winding down, and I'll have more free time beginning at the end of this week:

What do people feel about creating an original typeface instead of tracing an existing one in the future? I did pencil sketches of a typeface I designed years ago and never got to finishing it.

Now, I realize Mike has offered up a really nice existing font that needs some characters and tracing, and I absolutely do not wnat to "butt ahead in line".

I'm offering an unrealized typeface whose author is still alive and can help guide what I will give up to our group to completion, which is different than what we've been (successfully) doing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manor.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	88993

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 23 April 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Thanks Gary.

I like your design very much. I've always liked BlackLetter fonts and you have a distinctive look going on there.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Not exactly Blackletter

Some of us can start working on this font.
    From what I have gathered this will be a new and origional font conceived by Gare.
    While this one is not exactly in line to do next, I feel some of us can step in and get started.
    So Roundhead is next to be finished, then the one Mike has in the works, then this one. I need volunteers to assign certain parts to, any takers?
    I will start on the uppercase. What should we call this one. Gare started it so I feel he should have the honors if he so desires.
    Shortly I will try to move the posts concerning this from the Round head to this thread.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Not exactly Blackletter

Your 'unrealized' typeface (Manor ?) looks good. I dabble with calligraphy and I will be happy to help.
    ~Fred

Thanks, Fred.

I did a lot of hand-lettering before I got my hands on dry transfer lettering, and some Cloister, Roman, and other types of typefaces just seeped into my skill set when I was in my 20s. One of many things I never outgrew.

Before anyone does anything with "Manor TG", or "Manor Blackletter TG" as we could name it, take a break here, I'll post the alphabet and some artistic guidelines within the week, but I'd prefer it if the gang had one more voyage in tracing and reconstructing a typeface before mounting the harder chore of realizing a typeface a living author still has 15% in his head and not on paper to date.

Cool?

Thanks, and I volunteer myself to steer this one, only fair,

Gary

Question: This looks like the thread I started awhile ago and moved this stuff into but it has a different name. So how did that happen. I like this name but I was just wondering what happened and why?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I had a free moment, Larry, and got out the broom and dustpan.

You did move it, I renamed it, because the old name wasn't very illuminating.

Don't be confused.

Just be Larry.

-g-

Thanks Gare, I didn't know a thread could be renamed, but I was fairly certain that is what happened.
    I haven't heard anything about Mikes font for awhile. Do you know what's up with that?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

You can only rename a thread if you created it, Larry, that is: I started it, I edited the subject by going to advanced options in the forum.

Mike is setting a pace here I think we all can learn from, Larry. He and I privately discussed his font "versus" starting on mine, and the conclusion is: wait a while (because both of us are a little preoccupied for a few days), or start a different group event, lest this font collaboration burns out the key players here.

Mike shared with me a suggestion, a good one: a makeover of a publication or a website, heavy use of design, layout, and typography is a natural.

Thoughts?

-g-

I can see a publication maybe and that might be fun, but I know absolutely nothing about websites.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509