Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with tiling a transparent PNG

I would appreciate any suggestions on a background tiling problem.

I am creating a semi-transparent, single-color PNG to be the background image for a
    website div. I am able to create the image in Xara (using Xara 5) and the transparency
    looks great once the image is uploaded and coded into the html/css.

Unfortunately, as the image tiles vertically, there is a thin (horizontal) border
    between the tiles, so I don't get a smooth background. Instead, I have
    horizontal lines down the page per the height of the image.

When I import the PNG image back into Xara, there is clearly a 1 or 2 pixel
    completely transparent border around the image. I can't seem to get
    rid of it.

I have double-checked that all borders are 0 when I export the image.
    I am exporting as a PNG, "true color + alpha" for the palette.

Thank you for any suggestions. Alternatively, if anyone has an
    idea for generating a semi-transparent tile for html, that would
    also be great. Note that I have a top image as the
    first background that is rounded, with rectangular images/tiles
    that follow.

Default Re: Problem with tiling a transparent PNG

You posted this in the non-Xara Website Publishing forum which is why it got moderated and why I failed to approve it yesterday. Sorry.

I have moved it to the Xara Web Design Chat.

I am not sure you can tile a semi-transparent tile. Can you? What is showing underneath? This seems very existential to me.

That said, make sure that your tile images is in pixels, and even pixels. If you have fractional pixels sizes this can add the outline you are seeing.

And also make sure that the position on the page of the image is in even pixel amounts. If an image is situated on the page in a fractional pixel amount (216.7pix vs 216pix) it can also cause an outline.

Finally. Can you create the same effect without transparency? Such as with gradient fills?

Thank you for your earlier reply on my original post. I was diverted to a couple of projects but am returning to this problem. You asked a good question regarding whether the problem was just with transparent images. I tested this. I find the problem even when I do a simple JPEG, say, a rectangle. The shape is fine when created in Xara. Then, I export as a JPEG (no fractions on the pixels). When I import the JPEG back into Xara, I see a very thin, maybe 1 px, border on one edge.

Usually, this isn't a problem. However, if I'm tiling on a web background and I don't want to see the tile edges, it becomes a problem.

I've checked to see if there were any Options or other settings in Xara that could be affecting this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I do all my tiles using the Blank Photo new document. I turn off snapping to the grid.

I do them at 512 or some other evenly divisible number. I have attached a ZIP of a PNG that I removed the background from. It should tile just fine for you.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip 1.zip (148.7 KB, 56 views)

Sorry, I got called away and hit the submit button early.

The current XaraXone tutorial:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...Designer-Pro-X

Is all about making seamless tiles, btw. I use as per the tut, a square of the final dimensions and apply all the lements to a clipped group.

Take care, Mike

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Another way to get rid of the seams if Gary's suggestions fail is to place a large rectangle behind your tile and elements and make sure it has the same colours transparency etc as your tile background so your tile background blends in with the large rectangle then select every thing except that large rectangle and make your clipview. This way if there is any antialising Xara will blend the edge of your tile with the correct background and there will be no seams. Once you have made your tile you can discard the large rectangle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.