Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Xara MX Premium seems to have totally messed up our website. Can anyone help?

Hello.

I just uploaded our website after migrating it (from Xara Webdesigner 6) to and making a few changes in the new Xara MX Premium, and now everything on the website is seriously messed up. I am running the latest version of MX Premium (downloaded updates).

Using Safari, the only things to display are the background and empty frames with a question mark in the middle.

Using IE, some of the text displays too but no photos.

When I run the website in a browser using local files, it displays fine.

Please advise what has happened and how to fix it asap.

Here's a link to the site: www.hawk-ridge.com . . . I wonder how it looks to people who read this message.

Or is it simply a matter of time, meaning, it will take time for things to display correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Xara MX Premium seems to have totally messed up our website. Can anyone help?

It simply appears that not all files have uploaded.

Take care, Mike

Default Re: Xara MX Premium seems to have totally messed up our website. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    It simply appears that not all files have uploaded.
    Mike:

Only one new file was uploaded after upgrading to MX Premium, so we don't see how anything could have been omitted or deleted. Or should we delete all content and re-upload everything again?

Would migrating from Webdesigner 6 to MP Premium cause some files to be removed, or else to be replaced in such a fashion that graphics don't display?

What is the path that leads to wherever the graphics are stored in MX Premium?

We will try to upload the site using Webdesigner 6 soon since the MX version looks so bad with all the x's and no graphics, but we would still like to find a solution so that we can start to use MX Premium.

Thanks.

Hi Laurie--someone else should likely answer your question re MX Premium as I don't use Xara for web sites. My comment was simply based upon reviewing the site and looking at the source code and attempting to load images directly via their respective URLs.

I would always suggest the following: Export the site locally to review it before you upload to your own site.

As well, it might be with the version change you need to wipe out the present site completely, upload using MX and then it will be able to know which files need changing/removing/uploading.

Take care, Mike

I've found it very rarely, but have had the same thing happen when uploading MX8 over WD7 sites. Question marks and odd stuff like that. Best to wipe the root directory clean, and just upload fresh. Lose all .htm files and the entire 'index_htm_files' directory and contents. Then upload from MX8. No downside, and that will fix it.

BigWave:

That did the trick. We emptied all the FTP folders and uploaded from MX8. (Yesterday, we did not upload from MX8).

When we next edit the site, we'l know for sure if it's a permanent fix.

Many thanks!

Sometimes it helps to clear the cache (F5 or Ctrl + F5).

If your browser has cached the site you previously published it might be looking images that now have new names.

Very attractive site by the way. There really are hawks in Hawk Ridge. Great photo of the great horned owl under the roof with the disgruntled hawk.

Glad you like the site and photos. Right you are that we really do have hawks here. And the great horned owls are very entertaining at times. Both species help keep the rabbit population in check.

We had tried to refresh the page and clear the cache several times, as did friends in other parts of the world. In the end, BigWave's tip solved the problem. We had not used MX8 Premium's publishing feature when updating the site (used an external FTP client instead). We will stick to using Xara's publishing feature in future!

Thanks.