Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to change color of sash on grad photo

For me interesting the topic on this place, showing the alternatives to solve the same. Gary especially thanks for the Hue transparency version

Hello Phillip,

(1) Yes, once it is selected, you can Cut, then Paste and the selection will be on a new layer.

(2) Layers are pretty much the same in CAD, Xara and PhotoShop. However, in a bitmap application such as PS (et al), one also has access to channels. Which might be a fancy way of describing layers that pertain to, among other things, the color that makes up an image. So in an RGB image, there are separate channels for R, G, B and one that is technically the composite channel--which is the channel one normally "sees" when viewing an image on-screen.

Additionally, selections themselves can be saved to a channel for later reselection, alteration, etc. I suspect a more accurate definition and additional uses of channels can be found on the Adobe web site and broadly through the Internet.

OK. In PS, you can add to and subtract from your selection by using the modifier key of CTRL or ALT in conjunction with any of the selection tools. If there is enough space between the selection area you want to keep and the extra selected areas, this method can be faster than Ctrl-D to remove the selection, or even modifying the Select by Color dialog values.

On your sample image, I was able to simply cut the flower and place it on its own layer and then ad hoc select the entire sash using the Select by Color dialog.

Take care, Mike

Thank you all for your assistance and special thanks to Mike. I am grateful for your help.
    Gary; following Mike's (mwenz) instructions in Photoshop I was able to achieve the results I wanted.
    Have a great week.
    --
    Phillip