Sorry to bother you, but I'm starting to go crazy here. The things I though would be easy are turning out to be very hard.

I bought a copy of Type Tool, and my friend and I have been playing with it. We got the free fonts from the website and have been playing with them.

What do we have to do in order, first, to actually display what is in the font (as opposed to not in it), and also display what would be the Alt+keypad code to be able to reproduce it later?

I ask because with the free Sans font, for example, if I have it displaying (across the top) 'Decimal', 'Windows 1252' and 'Code pages', then the colours mean, according to the manual, that there are no glyphs in the first 255 code points, but they are part of the code page, but there are glyphs higher than that, but they aren't part of the code page.

If I now only change the view from 'Code pages' to 'Name' those same glyphs now appear in the first 255 spaces.

I am utterly baffled!

What do I have to do so that when I look at a font, the 'Decimal' info in any given cell really is the number I would have to type on the keypad when the font is in use, in order to display that character?

Do I have to generate the font in a special way?

It sounds so simple when I say it like that, but I've been tearing my hair out for the last couple of days. All help in easy-to-understand terms appreciated!

Regards

Staggers.