Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default If you are an MX8 user. Duplicate your backups often!

Just letting you know to be careful with the new version. I just lost 21 pages of data and the file size is now 0. I received and "serious internal error" message and was unable to save or rename and save.
    The auto save generated nothing so unfortunately I'm left with downloading and reworking the current published site. I'll be backing to two locations for a while to play it safe.

EDIT: Just remembered I can't reverse the site so I have to completely rebuild.

Regards
    Last edited by Seamus-286; 18 April 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Default Re: If you are an MX8 user. Duplicate your backups often!

With MX you can import a page from HTML and regain the formatted layout. You will have to add links etc again though, but the page and graphics will be imported.
    Press CTRL+ALT+W

Seamus

Did you try File > Open Recent > Backups...

WD MX, and other recent versions of Xara products create a backup every 10 minutes (unless you have disabled this useful feature).

If you click the down arrow next to Date Modified you get a menu of helpful choices including a calendar which will show backups created on a certain date.

You may only have lost 10-20 minutes of work.

Thanks for the quick response. Although it does import the page, each line of text is a separate item and you cannot highlight the text as a whole. Instead of 30 items on a page it may be 300.
    I do appreciate the information though.

Regards

GW You know I've used the backups before but in my sudden state of panic did not see it at the bottom of the "recent" fly-out. You are correct that I've only lost about 20 minutes work and I can sleep tonight. Thank you both GW & sledger for your help.

Regards

P.S. I think I'll still be duplicating the backups until the dust settles on the new version.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

As well as Xara's back ups I always keep a "working file" saved on my hard drive and use Ctrl +s often. When I upload to my webspace I use filezilla and I include a copy of my .xar as well so if a disaster strikes and some how I lose my computers and exernal drive (thinking of fire or natural disasters here) I will always have a copy safely stored where I can easily download it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

To Seamus, and others who have experienced any sort of hiccup like this, I use a very simple solution. I have not had a problem with data loss with Xara, but I sometimes get a "serious error" message and my heart leaps! But it is usually just a restart and I am good, thanks to the auto-save feature. Anyway, if Xara, or even your PC should crash and you loose everything, there is a simple and free solution: SugarSync. (I used to use FolderShare until MicroSoft broke it). The folder I store my .web (and the resultant websites) is cloned across 4 computers I own, so should anything happen to my PC, I can just pick up files from one of the other PCs. As the files are syncronised, it is possible to delete files and folders accidentally, which means you delete them from all the machines. But, that is catered for as well, as the files are also archived online, even after you delete them. As .web files are very small, it is very easy to get back any website lost for any reason, even up to the minute it crashed, as the sync files constantly update the remote computers and cloud. With 5GB free, it has proved to be a lifesaver a couple of times, albeit for non-Xara related problems.
    Another plus-point with this system, is you can have collaborators working on the exact same website, even if they are hundreds of miles away, (although, of course, not at the same time!) This really is a great method and I cannot recommend it highly enough.