Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default pantone colours for screen printing

hi guys, my printer has asked me to supply a pantone colour reference for a turquoise/green colour. it is for screen printing onto garments. however, when i look in the pantone colour galleries i have many variations of the pantone colour schemes, eg coated/uncoated/colour bridge/solid matte etc etc

which one do i need to select the shade from?
    thanks.
    'I'm comin to you now, I'm just around the corner!'
    Bespoke art and design by Herbie Hysteria. http://www.artbyherbie.com

Default Re: pantone colours for screen printing

Hi Herbie,

I think a Solid Uncoated reference colour would be best for printing on garments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solid_uncoated.png 
Views:	385 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	79181  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi herbie,

Also, it's a good idea to pick the colour from a Pantone book or chart, under natural light, because depending on how your monitor is calibrated the colour may not be the same when printed. Your screen printer should have those swatches.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Hi everyone,

The printer is only trying to ensure that he meets your expectations. If you are not going to be critical, choose a Pantone color that you like on our computer monitor. Which would be simple. However, be aware that what you see on screen may look very different than what he will use to match with. Here are some problems to consider when choosing a Pantone color.

If you choose to rely on what you see on your computer monitor, consider that from one computer monitor to the next, the same Pantone color will look different due to the monitor settings, brands, technologies, age, etc.

It is likely the printer will mix his ink using a Pantone swatch book. There are a couple of issues with swatch books. First, unless he buys a new one periodically (recommended at least every year), the colors in his swatch will likely drift. Secondly, how the swatch book is stored and handled could also cause the colors to drift.

But ultimately, the most important factor is when the ink is actually mixed. Who says "close enough" is close enough? There are actual formulas for mixing screen printing ink, but most printers just try to match with standard colors. Sometimes that works, some times not.

So it boils down to how critical you are going to be. If it isn't all that critical, simply choose what you like from what you see on your monitor. But, if you really want to be sure after you do finally choose a color, you will want to see a sample printed and cured on your shirt.
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

Just a small point don't get worried about using pantone colours it's a fairly easy process but what I would stress is to talk to your printer. Try an establish a relationship and trust in there judgement and you might ask for one wet copy. Gary produced a good work book on the subject, use it, its free: http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook23/page_5.htm
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the link Albacore. Lots of good info, and it pretty much supports what I posted. However, there is no "wet copy" in screen printing. The ink must be cured, and when it does it can can change substantially. So, in screen printing, one should always ask for a cured sample on the same kind and color of garment when color matching to ensure that is what is anticipated.
    Mike Emerson The Graphics Factory, Freelance Graphic Artist

Quote Originally Posted by James Allen View Post
    Hi herbie,

Also, it's a good idea to pick the colour from a Pantone book or chart, under natural light, because depending on how your monitor is calibrated the colour may not be the same when printed. Your screen printer should have those swatches.
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.