Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Left align web pages

Could someone please tell me which Xara files to edit to achieve a simple left alignment of web pages.

I have already tried the tweakset "fix", but this causes a brief flash as the page is initially loaded centre & then realigned left, which is not good enough for me.

I'm using designer pro 6 version & the appropriate tweakset.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Default Re: Left align web pages

Hi Speedyp

The "left aligned page" is usually well behaved, I've not heard of it causing any flash on load. Have you placed it on the MouseOff layer ?

Thanks, but yes. I have only 3 pages and I've added the left-align tweak to all 3 pages on the mouseoff layer. It's so frustrating. I've spent ages trying to get this to work.

There is a further complication... It's a wordpress site. I created a custom graphic navigation for the header in Xara & added it to wp with 3 text widgets. It worked perfectly (no flashing) with the xara files aligned centrally, but I couldn't get everything to line-up properly without massive margin offsets.

Using the xara left-align tweak helped to put everything where I needed it, but now the only problem is the brief flash every time you change a page.

I was hoping there was some way to edit the xara css by hand, but I guess this is impossible?

You can see it here: ## link deleted at posters request ##

It's obviously very early in the development, but I need to get the site navigation (xara bit) working properly before progressing. Hover over the logo to reveal the pages

Cheers
    Last edited by Drwyd; 08 April 2012 at 07:11 PM.

I just had a look at your code My laptop now has a nervous twitch and refuses to come out from under the table. Is it actually alive ?

The "left align page" tweak is only guaranteed to work in a Xara generated page and combining Xara code into anything else is always going to be "interesting".

You also have have multiple <head> and <body> sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    I just had a look at your code My laptop now has a nervous twitch and refuses to come out from under the table. Is it actually alive ?

The "left align page" tweak is only guaranteed to work in a Xara generated page and combining Xara code into anything else is always going to be "interesting".

You also have have multiple <head> and <body> sections.

Thanks Drwyd - This is what happens when you try to get a decent cms site to work with xara. But it does actually work. Maybe it was just a dream. Design site navigation in Xara & stick into wordpress.

Will probably have to rethink my relationship with xara, which is a pity as I'm quite fond of it. I'll take my copy out to dinner (in a public place), and break the news gently

I'll take my copy out to dinner (in a public place), and break the news gently

Before you do, check this out.

Yeah - thanks Drywyd. I had seen that last year, but I think wordpress is probably the way to go. Sorry, but it's just too well developed, supported (and free

Thanks for your interest anyway.

Cool avatar by the way - scary!

By the way - any chance you could spare my blushes & edit out / remove that link for me??
    Cheers
    Speedyp
    Last edited by speedyp; 08 April 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: embarrassement

If you are still determined to get Xara Designer menus into your page there still may be a way. You could insert them into an iframe so that they would display inside your wordpress page. The links would have to be duplicated elsewhere (probably best in a footer) so that the search engines can follow them.

Cool avatar by the way - scary!
    Cheers it was made in sculptris (free) a really easy to use digital clay app.

If you are still determined to get Xara Designer menus into your page there still may be a way. You could insert them into an iframe so that they would display inside your wordpress page. The links would have to be duplicated elsewhere (probably best in a footer) so that the search engines can follow them.
    Now that sounds promising... I've been sticking wp blogs in Xara sites in iframes for a couple of years. Would be cool to do it the other way round

Thanks v. much for your help

If you are still determined to get Xara Designer menus into your page there still may be a way. You could insert them into an iframe so that they would display inside your wordpress page. The links would have to be duplicated elsewhere (probably best in a footer) so that the search engines can follow them..
    Well I tried that, but linking to pages opens them inside the Xara navigation iframe in the header... Any other ideas how to persuade Xara to navigate a wordpress site?