Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Page Background With Left Border Transparency Positioning Problem

I am a new user of Photo & Graphic Designer 7 trying to create a new website and preserve some of the characteristics of my existing website at www.davidwindstrom.com.

I copied the jpg graphic used for the background of the old website, and imported it into the bitmap gallery, and used it for the page background in Xara. This bitmap has a fading transparency to the left to leave room for vertical navigator buttons. During page preview, when widening the browser width to the right, the central portion (darker) section of the image populates the left side, rather than preserving the actual left (transparent) portion of the graphic. As you can see if you go to the old website, this does not happen. (If you pull the browser window far enough to the right it simply duplicates the whole graphic, which is fine).

I have even tried creating filled rectangles in Xara, filled transparency on the left side of the graphic, and used that as a background page. The same thing happens. How do I get it not to do this?

I have a attached a little .xar file that has both of these bitmaps in it (the imported one and the one created in Xara). If you select either one as a page background, and then do a page preview (or export html), you will see this phenomenon.

I have looked in the documentation and done searches but can find no answer to this. Thank you for any help!

David W
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Page Background With Left Border Transparency Positioning Problem

JPG cannot hold fading (alpha) transparency, only PNG is capable of this.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Will these help? since your basic page is white you do not need transparency. These will appear to become transparent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purple.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	217 Bytes 
ID:	88711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	693 Bytes 
ID:	88712  

"JPG cannot hold fading (alpha) transparency, only PNG is capable of this."
    Thank you for you reply above, Sledger. I actually created a rectangle object and saved it as a PNG file, and re-imported it to a bitmap that I set to page background. The same thing happened as I described in my post.

Hello Gwpriester,

Thank you for your response. I tried the two attachments you sent and the same thing happened, except that now there are two duplicate images side by side, as your attachments were 500 px as opposed to my original ones which were 1000.
    I had hoped that there was an easy way to get P&GD7 to preserve the left side of the graphic as the browser is expanded to the right (as in the original website I referred to). If there is no easy fix I may have to just crop the graphic to get rid of the left (lighter) portion so that the replication of the tile will be uniform, though what I wanted was to duplicate the effect in the current website referred to in my post.

Problem is, your original site is left aligned, all Xara produced sites are centralised by default, so you won't be able to duplicate the idea of having the menu items over the faded-to-white area without using one of Covoxer's tweaks (Left aligned page) and setting the page background to transparent. (See attached file - don't worry about how the background tiling is in the designer view, it will look like your current site when previewed and published)
    Though I do think it's a good opportunity to try something little different and more attractive because your current site is quite ugly to be honest. That stripy background really detracts from the important content as well as making the page difficult to tolerate - but that's just my opinion
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 11 April 2012 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Though I do think it's a good opportunity to try something little different and more attractive because your current site is quite ugly to be honest. That stripy background really detracts from the important content as well as making the page difficult to tolerate - but that's just my opinion
    There - someone said it

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Problem is, your original site is left aligned, all Xara produced sites are centralised by default...
    OK...that's the piece I was missing: centralised by default. I appreciate your feedback about the current website. If there are others that think it's "ugly" then I need to know that. In any case, I quite agree with you about time for a change. And I had already come to the conclusion that trying to duplicate the left alignment was more trouble than it's worth. Originally I was going to get Coffee Cup HTML editor...but havingI discovered XARA P&GD7, I may never get it. The next step is trying to decide if I need to upgrade to Designer PRO 7, which I understand combines the features of PGD and Web Designer MX Premium (vs waiting for version 8). The handling of navigation bars would certainly be easier. Thanks again for your input.

Not that it's 'ugly', its just hard on my eyes. It kinda makes me want to focus on the lines and takes away from the information that you want to portray.

Quote Originally Posted by dwindstr View Post
    I had already come to the conclusion that trying to duplicate the left alignment was more trouble than it's worth.
    Did you download my attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by dwindstr View Post
    The next step is trying to decide if I need to upgrade to Designer PRO 7, which I understand combines the features of PGD and Web Designer MX Premium.
    Not so, DP7 contains all the features of Web Designer 7. You will need to wait for the next release of Designer Pro to gain the features of Web Designer MX Premium.