Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Frances - I hate to say this but I would have to disagree with your choice for &, @ and # symbols. If this is to be a really usable font it would need to have more regular symbols.

Can we have other opinions please? Thats not to say that these couldn't be included in the extra characters of an OTF font.

Michele - perhaps you could have a go at the $,£ and euro symbols.

Christine

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Rather than having them as extra characters of an OTF which is not supported by Xara would be possible to map them to keyboard symbols that are usable in Xara programs?

Full support for open type fonts is something that has been asked for on the forums but I don't think we will be seeing it anytime soon, providing regular keyboard access, even if it has to be an Alt +numberpad code to these extra glyphs would be better IMO at least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

That sounds fine - I'll look at doing the regular ones for these.

Christine

Christine I'm doing the punctuation. Have it part way done.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You guys are doing great, and I am thrilled that you are reaching for the stars to make this a usable and practical font.

I have some suggestions, and they are only suggestions since I am not doing any of the tracing or coding work myself !

I think that it would be really nice, if the font contained all the character's you'd need (or as many as possible) if you were using the MS US or English International Keyboard layout. I haven't done the research to know exactly what characters you'd have to do-- but this keyboard layout from the Wikipedia (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.) could show the way. Also you might want to consider releasing an open type version and a tt (for Xara 3d users)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000px-KB_US-International.svg.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	88797

Any extras you might see fit to make or have made that don't fit (Bill can let you all know) could be released as a companion, extra's typeface.

If this idea is approved by this workgroup here is a golden opportunity for any admirers or lurkers to jump in and let Frances and Christine know that you'd like to help doing the research on what additional characters would need to be created and ir help with creating them.

Cheers
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

More character suggestions.

I also think that common typographic elements like em and en dashes, ellipsis. Maybe some nice bullets. Bill do you know if stuff like thin spaces, and non-breaking spaces and hypens is coded into an individual font?

And one of my favorite characters, that you may not be familiar with would be a fun addition - the interrobang, which is used to mark an exclamatory question.

The Wikipedia (Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License) says this about the interrobang

The interrobang is not a standard punctuation mark. Few modern typefaces or fonts include a glyph for the interrobang character. It is at Unicode code point U+203D ‽ interrobang (HTML: ‽).

The interrobang can be used in some word processors with the alt code ALT+8253 when working in a font that supports the interrobang, or using an operating system that performs font substitution.
    Depending on the browser and which fonts the user has installed, some of these may or may not be displayed or may be substituted with a different font.
    Image Default font Fixed Palatino Linotype Calibri Arial Unicode MS Code2000 Helvetica Unicode*
    *The Unicode column uses one of a selection of wide coverage Unicode fonts depending on what is installed on your system

Those small p-like glyphs you are seeing in the boxes above actually are text that you can copy and paste into Xara or Word. Select the character and then scroll though your font choices to see what fonts you already have that support the interrobang. It is fun to see how the different font have styled this character.

In fact, I think that looking at how others have interpreted a character using this method could provide insight and inspiration when figuring out how to create the missing roundhand characters.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 15 April 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added last two paragaphs
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

I decided to break the open type font compatibility discussion into it's own thread so we can continue it there and this thread can continue to be used for discussing the Roundhead font collaboration.

Christine if there are more glyphs you need let me know. Is anyone doing the interrobang?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Frances—

As you assign glyphs to be traced, you should probably ask a member to see how the characters go together. Example: the dotcom glyph you have is great. How does it read at the end of a word? Kerning is a post-production thing, but how the letterforms actually go together is virgin territory for this group. The Burgeon typeface was a ding set, and as such, the gylphs didn't need to relate to their neighbors when typed.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ...you should probably ask a member to see how the characters go together....Gary
    With this in mind, I opened the character set Christine provided here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...068#post439068

This may NOT be the final version, but quite few are not very accurate (too wide or narrow) and some are very wrong and the 'look' of several characters is off.. I know this font is called 'Roundhead', but I interpret the corners as very slightly rounded or almost sharp. Am I missing something?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap02.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	88805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap00.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	88806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap01.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	88807
    ~Fred

I'll take another look at the dot com symbol I did, and make some changes.
    Last edited by angelize; 16 April 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]