Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Default Re: TG font collaboration #2 Roundhead

We need a complete set of "paperwork" for each font, i.e. everything we did for the Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments TG.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Frances—

As long as you can ride herd on the paperwork, that will leave Bill to performing his sorcery on "the goods", the product itself.

Last post I read, I think from Barbara, this font group is not ready for Prime Time by a country mile.

Bill, can I help?

Thaks!

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 11 May 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Gary I believe you have a template that works well within Xara and the exported .ai files within FontLab?

If everyone could use your template and fit their glyphs to a maximum of 720 pixels in height, and ensure that all ascenders and descenders are consistant in width. As an example the width of the b ascender and the d ascender match. Also make sure the x-height is used consistantly for lower case letters. Everyone should coordinate with each other so the same value for Cap Height, Ascender Height, x-height, Descender length are used for all glyphs. This would greatly assist the work assembling the font within FontLab.

What is everyone's concensus about how to proceed?

Although retired I find myself to be a very demanding task master. Therefore I have made plans to get away for about a week beginning Thursday the 17th of May.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default The Template of the Future!

Bill, I mailed you a copy to your private email, but I don't see a reason not to post it here, attached.

-g-
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: The Template of the Future!

Thanks Gary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fonts-template.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	89392  
    Last edited by Soquili; 11 May 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill I am not certain I understand. Do you want eack of us to check out all of the characters of the Roundhead font or just those we did? Then what?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Gare is tied up until tomorrow, so he asked me to post for him.

Please take today off from working on this font. The font has size inconsistencies as mentioned previously and these need to be addressed. The template that Gary posted will be a good tool to use, but he has found that the template itself needs some guides placed in it to make finding and correcting the defects easier and more consistent.

So please hold off all work on this font, so we don't have to redo folks work and try to keep some idea of what the current version is until Gary posts a new template tomorrow. And that will come with complete instructions.

What you can do right now is find and agree on the four best example glyphs that the rest of the glyphs can be standardize to.

1. Find one or two Capitols ( not Berlin and Paris) (uppercase) that you think are the best proportions/design -- that are the best example of what this typeface should look like.

2. One or two lowercase letters that you think are the best proportions/design -- that are the best example of what this typeface should look like.

3. The best descender the y the g or the q

4. The best character height glyph - that is l an h a k -- a lower case letter with an ascender.

Gather, compare, post and Gare will get back to you all tomorrow.
    Have fun.

I have pulled the template and will wait for Gary's update.

EDIT: Sorry Barbara I did not see your post until after I made this one. I was working on the template to add more guides.
    Last edited by Soquili; 11 May 2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

@Bill—

You and I were thinking alike.

Okay, and Bill it's okay to refine/revise this attachment: I modified the example template I posted earlier, specifically for working with the RoundHead font, and no other font in the future—the height taken from the last font Bill posted is 725 points and a fraction as a standard, and in the future I think we want a cap height of 720 to make calculations easier. 720 points should in theory =10 inches, at 72 digital points to an inch.

As you can see in this thumbnail, I've dragged guides every which way, including the diagonal in the typeface. When you open the file, I suggest the first thing you do is just look at how the simplified text sits on the template. Some areas are fine, others are too wide.

I'd wait until Bill checks in and blesses this template before anyone does any work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoundHead-template.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	89423

Ultimately, it would help finish this font if we each took the characters we originally did, put them on the template and then adjusted widths and positions on the template, like with brackets and other punctuation.

Ideally, when we're all done and have checked in our submissions, we will have literally bee working on the same page, the font will be consistent and uniform in width and we will all live forever.

:)

Yes?

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 12 May 2012 at 02:59 PM.

The template looks great Gary.

I would like to make a suggestion about the glyphs. I have added some red glyphs. Please notice the changes I have made in the lower case b and g, they are suggestions so feel free to ignore them if you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update