Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Gary thanks for the pangrams. Previously I mistyped programs, muscle memory forces my fingers to find those keys any time a word starts with the letter p.

For those having problems scrolling past the Roundhead font.
    1. in Xara select the Text tool.
    2. click the down arrow in the font list.
    3. type rou and Roundhead will automatically be selected. That is unless you have another font that begins with roul or some letter before the n alphabetically.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I just used the Tools>Transform Range command in FontLab to inflate the characters relative to the hypothetical grid of 1000 units upon which they rest, and you know what? After scaling them up 135%, and then saving out to TTF, in Xara, the preview is only marginally larger and hardly legible, possibly because the font doesn't have hinting information, but most likely because of the way Xara renders a preview. Besides, it's an ornamental font so it's never going to be as legible as Arial.

I discourage the idea of calling fonts "TG Burgeon", "TG Round Head" and so on. Originally, I'd put the tg after the name, because it gets VERY irritating after a while to do any kind of sorting to get a typeface you need. Lino type precedes the font name with LINO, Adobe has done this on several occasions and yes, it helps you scoot to a collection from the same vendor, and it also costs you time when you're looking for a font by name and not a vendor.

The way we have it gives recognition to TalkGraphics and if someone asks about a font of ours that they have installed, tell 'em, "Type 'Round..."

-g-

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Ok I am fine with the preview the way it is. So we need to decide on the cap L and I need to know if we want to package the whole family together (you guys are still doing the variations?) or individual download packages.

Is there any way we could have this finished up by Friday? I don't want to rush anyone, I just thought I could add this to the Freebie Friday post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Frances I will not be able to have a font ready by Friday.

As I mentioned I am experimenting to see if an acceptable version can be made for content text. It took 6 hours to work four Glyphs to look fairly good and at least one of those still needs tweeking. Making the glyphs lighter in weight using a 1 step inner contour and inset path sometimes results in added nodes that zag when they should zig.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No Problem Bill, it was just a thought. I could always do a special Extra Freebie Day for the fonts when they are ready
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

May I ask what preview is buggered up? In the font drop-down? The Font Gallery?

Take care, Mike

When you look in the drop down list in xara the name Roundhead TG is very small and hard to read. Michelle and I were having trouble finding it in the list. However it sounds like it is not something that can be easily changed so I don't think we will be worrying about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess I am not seeing what others see?

I have slightly altered a few things about the font. Don't know if that affects this issue others see.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhead_font_dropdown.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	89218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhead_font_gallery.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	89219  

Mike it is only a problem if you have the font list set to show the name in the actual font. Because it is a narrow font it shows quite small.

Thanks everyone for the 'Word' info - I will only test in Xara in future.

Christine

Frances, as to your question regarding how to release the font(s) if the group does a family of fonts:

It would be best if each font was treated as a stand alone font, each with its own set of releases, PDF and the licensing documents. The fonts in the family are bound to get split up somewhere and we want all the proper docs and links back to your work here to be as tightly bound to your work as possible.

That said, each font could be offered as a single zip download and the family could be offered as a collection of the individual font zip files bundled in one family zip file.

You guys are doing great work. Let's not rush it; keep it fun; and end up with a well thought out font or family of fonts to gift the world with.

By the way the Burgeon fonts have been downloaded over 700 times which is remarkable. If any of you feel inclined to tweet about the font or post some info about the font on your Facebook, Google+ or other social networking pages - go for it. Nothing wrong with tooting our own horn on this - the quality of your work has been outstanding and word of mouth will get this font out and in use in every corner of the globe.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com