Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

To quote...there's nothing new under the sun.

It is near impossible to take a font that was published "way back then" and not find out that someone at sometime made a version.

Oh, I'd say that's a pretty good match, Fred.

Dan X. Solo has been "reviving" typefaces for close to 20 years. I think he began with Dover clipart Publications, actually working for them, restoring and assembling typefaces from very old Royalty Free clipart where fonts were shown.

Which strongly suggests to us that in the future if we find a nice font, we look it up to see whether it's already been done. The Burgeon fonts was destined to be a winner because the catalog was so bloody obscure. On the other hand, Morning Glory and Round Head were both from a 1904 Linotype specimen book, and surely others according to Dan's attribution.

It's still Public Domain and this group came by our tracings honestly and independently of Dan's work.

I'd say finish it. We always planned to give it away, while Dan at Solofonts wants $20 for his version.

My 2 ˘,

Gary

Gare, I like those pangrams they work very will for the purpose.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I've had them for some time and collect them when there's a good one out there, Larry.

Technically, a pangram serves the purpose of displaying each character in a font at least once. By doing this is a sensical style. I find it easier to see problem kerning pairs, although I know a lot of people have custom kerning pairs, not sentences but just sequences, to detect problems.

And sometimes when a typeface has the proper sidebearings in their metrics...you don't need kerning pairs.

-g-

@Mike-- Hemingway?

OK, let's press on!
    Last edited by Fred C; 02 May 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    ~Fred

I don't mind any of the 'L' you use...toss a coin!

Here's what I found -

The only way I can tell when things aren't clear is to compare the text...next time I'll use Gary's panagrams. I've used word pad and Designer pro.
    Razzle Dazzle on it's own looks fine until I used lower case and it looks like the z needs to be narrowed.
    The capital 'H' is narrow in word pad and the other is perfect, even with the slant... (I don't know why that is).

By my observations: I see n & d resting against each other, and 'n' seems to lean in close to other fonts in word pad.

The 'H' is different.

The 'z' could be the same size as the x

I thought that the size of the font cannot be used at anything under 20 points to see it properly.
    Also (if possible) can we have the name larger " Roundhead TG font" where the collection of all fonts are held, I kept navigating past it.

I hope I'm not being too picky, I'm sure you'll tell me if I am!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	words_1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	89199  
    Michele

www.michelemowat.com

Hmm. Perhaps using the TG in front of the fonts would keep all the fonts together. So in this case, TG Roundhead?

Sorry. I don't want to ripple the brook with new ideas. But as we are a newly formed, there might be still some feeling around to find what would make for good organization.

Take care, Mike

@ Fred. King Solomon, found in the Bible (book of Ecclesiastes).

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Morning everyone! I am going to throw my 2cents in here. I agree with Gary that we finish this project and if we change the cap L and someone mentioned the J(?) this will give our roundhead a little difference. We also have the extras that I did to make our version unique. If Gary and Bill go ahead with the variations that they are working on we can have release a whole family as Myfonts has only 1 font. This leads me to another question, do we want one large download package that would have all 3 fonts or 3 separate download packages so people could pick and choose which they wanted? I don't mind doing 3 packages and 3 listings if that is what we want.

As Michelle asked is it possible to have the font name display larger in a font list? For example in Designer Pro's font drop down list it is quite small and like Michelle I found it easy to miss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    As Michelle asked is it possible to have the font name display larger in a font list? For example in Designer Pro's font drop down list it is quite small and like Michelle I found it easy to miss.
    Good point, I was wondering the same thing.
    Last edited by wizard509; 02 May 2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The only way I know to have the font name larger in a font list is to have larger dimentions for the font.

This is possible but would require a lot of work to rescale the glyphs, redo the metrics, and redo the kerning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fontinfo.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	89208  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update