Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

I think that is a wonderful idea. I think the three fonts would be a nice family
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Forget this it appears to be a Word issue the kerning varies with the different font sizes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhead text kerning.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	89187
    before you go too far please look at the attached text example - I think the kerning in some instances is too close and the lower case 'n' looks too tall.

Additional - this was done in Word using the OTF font at 24 points.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine Farrelly; 02 May 2012 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks Frances.

Christine MS Word often makes irrational choices when overriding a font's kerning.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default RoundGHead kerning and stuff

Word processors, dtp programs, and design programs all can read internal data on a typeface differently, and produce different results. Understand that a typeface can have both kerning information and metrics information. The function of these two data sets often overlaps. For example, one of the things metrics information does is define the space around a character, while kerning information defines the space between two characters.

Add to this the reality that Microsoft has a vested interest in making typefaces that Microsoft has commissioned look the best, while I see no reason why Microsoft would care if a 3rd party font rendered to screen flawlessly.

Consider that a font rendered to screen in MS Word doesn't print that way, not always. WYSIWYG has been an output joke since Apple produced the first GUI.

My recommendation is to test this font against Xara, where you can enable both metrics and kerning pairs for entered text.

++++++++++++++++

Name:	tg-wireframe.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	89191

On a distantly related note, I thought it would be a nice and subtle branding of our fonts if one of the extended characters had the old(er) TalkGraphics logo, attached.

-g-
    Attached Files Attached Files

G' Morning' All,

I think that we should stick with the original 'L'. It is a unique part of the ‘resurrected’ font among other quirky characters like the rounded treatment on the 'W' and'M'. Suggest we add alternate cap L's. I prefer Larry's middle version; remove the upper flag (flat top) and I like Frances' abbreviated 'flag' version, although there isn't any precedent in other characters. Perhaps another cap 'J' alternate with the abbreviated 'flag'.

@Christine-- It looks like you used Bill's previous version because of the 'j' in projects. The latest is here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...322#post441322

added Yes, Gare on the TG logo.
    Last edited by Fred C; 02 May 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added comment
    ~Fred

Christine,

Once the font is finished, be sure to "compare" it to a condensed version of a sans serif for that is what Roundhead is (as well as being a headline font). In fact, it compares to ultra-condensed versions I have.

Take care, Mike

...and to save grief and some time, I suggest that while this typeface is bring run through its paces, that comments are posted here, but no action is taken on the current build until all comments seem to have been made.

It'll keep the number of unique (?) versions down!

-g-

I like what Frances has shown. I wrestled with that in my sleep last night and came to the same conclusion. Frances version looks better to me, it is in keeping with the original but does not look like a G. So I vote for that one. But honestly any of the 3 (mine and Frances) would be fine with me.

ATTACH=CONFIG]89193[/ATTACH]

I also agree with Christine, the lower case n does appear too tall. I don't know if it is because of what it is next to but I certainly get that impression.

EDIT: After considering what Fred said about the J maybe we could cut back that top bar similarly to the L.

Name:	J.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	89194
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ll2.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	89193  
    Last edited by wizard509; 02 May 2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

@Bill—

If you put these nonsense sentences (called pangrams) in the kerning pair drop-down, they'll help you spot problems after auto-kerning:

We took a breezy excursion and gathered jonquils from the river slopes.

Sexy diva Jennifer Lopez wasn't baking me quiche.

Just work for improved basic techniques.

Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.

Schwarzkopf vexed Iraq big-time in July.

Fabled reader with jaded, roving eye seized by quickened impulse to expand budget.

Viewing quizzical extracts mixed up hefty jocks.

-g-

~Fred