Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Default Re: RoundHead: the fonts and the PDF keyfinder

I, Larry E. Leiker, as a contributor to the project undertaken by a group in the TalkGraphics.com Fonts and Typography Forum, to create the following fonts, RoundHeadtg.otf and RoundHeadtg.ttf, grant a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute [the] Contributions I made to the work and such derivative works.

I understand that this is a license agreement only; it does not transfer copyright ownership and does not change my rights to use the artwork I contributed for any other purpose.

Larry E. Leiker, USA
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks Larry.

I have found that some of the punctuation period, comma etc is below the baseline which doesn't look right. So far I have found period, comma, semi colon, colon. there could well be more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RH fullstop.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	89129
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Best of luck correcting this, Frances, because the period aligns perfectly with the uppercase characters.

Okay, if we assume that a period comes at the end of a sentence, chances are good that the preceding character will be lowercase, right?

The overall problem is that the UC and the lc share different baselines.

Tell you what: if you come to an agreement here, it would be fairly easy for me to correct the punctuation relative to lowercase. I'll do the period, comma, colon and semicolon right now and you see what else is wonky.

-g-

I, Bill Taylor as a contributor to the project undertaken by a group in the TalkGraphics.com Fonts and Typography Forum, to create the following fonts, RoundHeadTG. otf and RoundHeadTG.ttf, grant a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Contributions I made to the work and such derivative works.

I understand that this is a license agreement only; it does not transfer copyright ownership and does not change my rights to use the artwork I contributed for any other purpose.

Bill Taylor, United States of America
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'm still a bit under the weather and my mind isn't working very well (not that unusual for me).

How would we classify this font? It is not a decorative font as the Celebrated Burgeon Ornaments TG font.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

An antique sans serif headline font?

-g-

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That sounds good to me Gary.

The exclamation mark and the question mark again don't look quite right with the lower case letters, how ever they do look fine with the UC. Not sure if this one is fixable? Unless lowercase friendly versions could be mapped to un-used spots?

single and double quotes seem a little too high for lowercase letters, would these be better aligned to lower case? On this one I'm not sure
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Want all of my 30-seconds of thought on the baseline alignment issue? Seeing how I cannot hear the screams of No!, here tis.

I don't know whether there is actually a single baseline but the LC characters are raised above it, or if the UC are lowered from the font's baseline, or ? So take the following as it is: comments from a place of ignorance concerning this font's construction.

If I were making this font, I would place all LC letters on the font's baseline. I would align all punctuation in relation to the LC characters.

But here is where I don't know how the two "baselines" were incorporated. I would opt to have the UC characters' bottoms align near (or at) the descender location.

Now resuming my hiding...Mike

Let me see if all the punctuations you're talking about here can't be moved to lowercase baseline alignment.

I'm supposing we don't quite have a font yet, eh?

And no, I advise against adding characters to accommodate uppercase punctuation.

First, that is amateurish design. Second, it won't work unless you're prepared to get rid of some characters.

Why not call "time out" right now and gather opinions on how to move this to the finish line, Frances.

But don't "cope". Think it out. Perhaps all the caps would look good aligned to a cap height consistent with the character height of some of the l/c characters such as "t", "l" and so on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charheight.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	89131

Just a thought. It would solve some problems, and it's sort of a fresh 'n' funky look.

-g-

Thanks Gary that sounds perfect. The ChangeLog.txt is attached.

Frances the exclamation mark and question mark are typically the same size as the uppercase characters. That is how they are within the existing fonts Gary has post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update