Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

4 questions...1 answer ...Bill, it looks good in your post #87.
    ~Fred

Thanks Fred. I believe that Frances, Christine, Michele, Barbara and Gary still need to weigh in on this.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'd say the same as Mike level with the TM symbol.

Christine

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi everyone, sorry if it seems I have abandoned you all here in the typography area, I've been busy with real life chores I agree with Mike and Christine on the copyright symbol. The rest of the font is shaping up nicely. So are there any more glyphs you need created Bill?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Frances, no more glyphs are needed. FontLab does a lot of the work when it come to creating the glyphs with the umlauts, and other accents. Once the character glyphs are created and then the modifier character then when you double click the accented character FontLab assembles the two components together for you.

I've got a few programming steps to complete and a couple of glyphs to add then I will send the vfb file to Gary to make sure I haven't missed anything.

The attachment is too small at 800 pixels wide to see much detail but things are looking good so far.

I have Frank's alternate glyphs and your And, dotCom, The, etc added as well Frances. I will make a location template with the Alt+xxxx code to access the additional characters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundhead-fontlab.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	89041  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'm slowly getting my life back (writing another book that won't sell any copies because Print is Dead)—Bill, if you'd make a copy available (probably my private email is best), I will comb over it and try to fix any errors I'm aware of.

My Best,

Gary

Hi Bill, to answer this question I had to do a search to make sure. The 'copyright symbol' is mostly on the baseline.

I found some tips if this is helpful - For copyright symbols that rest on the baseline, try matching the size to the x-height of the font.
    For copyright symbols that are superscripted, reduce their size to about 55–60% of your text size. (raised slightly and reduced in size).
    ™ © ®. In some browsers some of these copyright symbols may not appear correctly depending on the fonts installed.
    Michele

www.michelemowat.com

Gary I am a bibliophile and hope that Print will never die. When I finish adding the last touches I know to do I'll email the file to you.

Michele thanks for the information. I was looking for personal preference in this particular font because we can be creative and have it "our way".
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill—

Sorry. I thought a bibliophile was someone who reads The Bible a lot.

Ba-dah bump.

Seriously, I'll check out what you got whenever, send to my private email that takes attachments, and you'd be preaching to the choir about books. Without counting revised editions, I've written 26 in the past 20 years, and in the past 10 years, the sales have been dropping progressively.

Which means I'm getting worse at it (I don't think so), or people are turning the eBooks and the web for alternative media for learning.

Okay, perhaps not actual learning; more like "show me the steps I need to know right now, and leave out the theory and related topics."

Happily, the only time I don't use typefaces is when I'm talking to my mom over the telephone.

-g-

From a font user's point of view, I usually prefer the default size and placement of the copyright symbol to be at baseline and cap height, because that is how I'd set it most of the time in the standard phrase:

Copyright © 2012 Me and You

But this typeface has a different baseline for upper and lower case letters, so I think it should be sized and placed so it lines up on the baseline with the numbers that should follow the symbol and the fairly long string of lower case letters that often precede it.

But the numbers in this typeface are irregular in size and baseline too.

So I vote for the symbol to be sized and placed like the number 6. This would also place it on the same baseline as the lowercase t. I think this would look the best in the visual phrase highlighted in red.

Copyright © 2012 Me and You
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com