Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Does WD MX finally make blogs possible?

I haven't yet installed WD MX, but reading about the new feature of automatically re-sizing pages makes me think that hosting blogs within the website may finally be possible. Has anyone tried this yet and, if so, have you encountered any problems? All I've been able to do in the past is "emulate" a blog by using RSS feeds from Wordpress to present my latest blog and the archives on a page in my WD websites. I realize that the full features of a blog like comments and so forth may still be lacking, but being able to put all of the relevant content that exists in the blog within the website itself will certainly help search results. I'll probably start working on this in a few days, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on this.

Default Re: Does WD MX finally make blogs possible?

The only thing that might accommodate this is the new Embed a Website Widget. You can use this to create an iframe in which you can link to an non Xara blog. It would have the appearance of being part of your site. But as far as actually having a blog in real time in MX, I don't think this is possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong: I think the new auto-resizing feature is at design time only - the page resize won't happen after publishing - which is what you'd need for a blog widget to be able to expand to fit it's contents (or use the iframe method).

I would have thought that it was going to do something in this way by now - in fact when I first saw the new ad on the xara.com site and saw the uppercase W on one of the buttons, I "saw" wordpress, but it actually says "widgets", unfortunately.

I think you are right pauland...design time (which is welcome) but not "dynamically" like Wordpress or Joomla (my primary tool these days, using Xara products for the graphics, of course).

Shoot! I had high hopes. I am already doing what gwpriester suggests above, which emulates an actual blog. It looks okay (http://www.northidahoins.com/blog.htm) though formatting choices are limited, but the main problem is that the content is not visible for search and so I don't gain the additional rankings for the content. I've already switched from Front Page to Dreamweaver to Xara and I hate to think about having to learn yet another program.