Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Left Coffee Cup for Xara Web Design MX Premium

What a HUGE difference in capabilities. With only knowing about 5%(if that) of what Xara is capable of, I've come up with....
    petersrepairservices.com

What do you think?

Peter Johnson
    Last edited by angelize; 11 April 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added link

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Left Coffee Cup for Xara Web Design MX Premium

Hi Peter, Welcome to Talkgraphics!

I linked the site for you.

The site looks very nice, I did notice a couple of minor things though. First the text beside the Google plus Button on the home page runs of the side of the page. Second on the about page the text columns perhaps would look better aligned to the edges of the photos above them. The leftmost column actually touches the dividing line. If you click the padlock icon on the info bar this turns on the Magic Snapping and it will make lining things up ... well... a snap!

All in all a great site!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you! That means a lot coming from you. I made some adjustments, should be different now.

Peter

Excellent work for a first effort in WD

Nice work Peter. Welcome to TalkGraphics and welcome to Xara Web Designer.

Very nice site.

You might want to consider a wider resolution. It shows up kind of small on 1024x600

Also, I don't think the bevel effect on the eagle/flag image adds anything. Perhaps blending it into the header as a fill on a rectangle with rounded corners that match the right side of the header (you can create the exact shape you need by using the shape combine functions).

The rounded-corner rectangle inside of a rounded-corner rectangle concept seems a little redundant to me. Maybe mix straight & rounded?

There isn't enough contrast (blue on blue) for the links on the "Computers" page. You could change the standard links colors or turn them off and use a font color with more contrast.

The certificates might look better without a 3D effect.

Excellent work for a first effort! (P.S. Thank you for using a readable font size for your content - maybe you could increase the menu font size as well?)

Stick with Xara...you will findit is the BEST software available for web design...and you haven't even scratched the surface yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ardvaark View Post
    What a HUGE difference in capabilities. With only knowing about 5%(if that) of what Xara is capable of, I've come up with....
    petersrepairservices.com

What do you think?

Peter Johnson

This is really good for only knowing 5% and there is much, much more to come

I actually have Coffee Cup from a friend and maybe I will use Video Player and Web Jukebox or maybe not. I also have XSitePro, XHeader, and Artisteer. I am so glad that Xtreme, Webstyle, and Xara 3D are being integrated more and more into a complete full and powerful package. Webstyle 4 and Frontpage was such the pain to use. I also have access to Weebly, the new kid on the block apart from Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo, and Drupal... and others. I think you have made the right decision and I like your site and the constructive criticism you've gotten so far, too. Have a great day! My purchase and use of XWDMX8Premium for building websites was also a no brainer at the upgrade price of $70. I'm loving it and it's like nothing else I've used before -- so simple and easy to use compared to its predecessors. I can't wait for DP8 to come out!

Nice work. A number of TG old hands could learn from the design - good job.

I'm not a fan of the extruded graphics, but many people seem to like it.

The "site consultant" panel is too high on all the pages after the home page.

I think the square bevelled eagle graphic is out of place with all the other graphic elements on the site; they have a rounded edge and no bevel.

Small things perhaps.

Keep up the good work!

Paul

Again not a fan of extruded photos, but I do like the site, I remember my first effort and it was just a small 2 pager so well done on the site.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Nice site Peter! My only suggestion is that you may want to add some positive customer feedback. Stating that you provide great service is good, but having your customers provide positive feedback carries a lot more impact. Also, if you want to gain a better position with search engines like Google, Bing, etc., you will want to update your site on a regular basis. The more often you update, the more the search engines will visit your site. The more search engines visit your site, the higher rating you will have with the search engines. This really helps if you are looking to increase the number of hits to your site. Hope you find this information useful!

Candee