Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Odd text behaviour

I have a page which consists of some text on a background. The text is Tahoma 16 in light blue but it seems watery and jagged. The same text written using Word is sharp. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? As far as I can tell the text is bog standard, no effects of any description.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	88722  

Default Re: Odd text behaviour

Is it possible the text has been converted to a bitmap?

When you preview the page and you move the cursor over the text does it change to the text cursor or remain as the default cursor?
    The text cursor shows it is still text the default cursor indicates it is a bitmap image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Well, this is very odd. I did as you suggested on a page which I knew was definitely text. That was ok. I then did the same on the 'weird page' and it kept the default cursor (Indicating a bitmap).
    I went back to the page, clicked on the text and it gave me the usual text options (which surely it shouldn't have done because it thinks it's a bitmap??)
    I increased then decreased the point size on one word.
    I then re-saved the page (which still looks jagged and watery) but then previewed and it looks as it should (and now has the text cursor).
    Going back to the page it still looks as it does in the file I uploaded in my original message.

As an aside, I loaded the background into Powerpoint and put a text box on top and it all looks as it should.

Still puzzled as to why this should happen so any insight would be gratefully received.

You must understand you text can be text within the source but is being exported as a bitmap because the text has been resized using the Selection Tool rather than the Text Tool.

Anytime you extend, enlarge, squish, text using the Selector Tool it will be exported to your website as a bitmap.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry, I'm not quite getting this. Just gone back into the page. Clicked on the text, 'T' lights up and we now have a red box. Change font size, click save, then click preview and the cursor has now gone back to normal cursor (indicating a bitmap). Am I missing something??

If you resize a text area using the pointer tool (V) it will output as an image to a web page. If you resize a text area using the text tool itself at the corner handles, text remains text (unless grouped with an image iirc). If you resize text itself by highlighting the text and changing the point size text remains text.

Somehow, it appears your text is being output as an image. Try this. Copy your text in question. Paste it into a text editor. Highlight the text in the text editor. Delete the original text area in Xara. Draw out a text area or click using the text tool. Paste the copied text. Immediately vie the web page. Is the text still text?

Mike

Yep, that's done the trick. If/when this happens again then I'll resolve it with a cut and paste but I'm a bit concerned as to how easy it was not to get this right. Having said that, all of the other pages work just fine so I'll put it down to my inexperience with the product. Many thanks for your kind assistance (and patience).

It's an easy mistake to make so no worries.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    If you resize a text area using the pointer tool (V) it will output as an image to a web page.
    Not quite Mike. It will still output as text but the browser will only display it at the nearest valid point size.
    If you group it, then Xara will output as a bitmap.
    Looking at the original screenshot, it seems to my eye that the original problem was due to applying an outline to the text, which of course Xara will output as a bitmap. So, your suggested steps to the OP actually removed the outline and thus corrected the text output.

Ah, thanks.

Mike