Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create tables in P&GD 6 (or 7)?

Good morning. I am struggling with creating and maintaining Tables in a DTP project for a client. I am using Photo & Graphic Design 6, though I'd upgrade to 7 if it would solve my Tables problems.

I have created a table of organized text in Word, and then copied it. I pasted it into Xara, choosing EMF as the only one that really looked like what I created. And now I cannot work with it as a table! Nor can I find anything that easily creates a table for me in Xara. Creating and formatting tables seems to be a very basic kind of feature necessary for DTP. Have I missed something?

I have gone too far into this project using Xara, so I must finish it using Xara and not another product now.

I need to be able to have it move from page to page inline, not as an image, but as a table, when I insert new client text before the table. I also need to resize it without resizing the text. Did I make a mistake using Xara for a DTP project? Or maybe I just missed seeing how to handle Tables properly?

Best regards,
    Russell

Default Re: How to create tables in P&GD 6 (or 7)?

No Xara product currently does tables. Much less in the manner you are accustom to in Word.

The only word of advice I can give you, if you feel you need to continue in P&GD (or XDP, or X anything) for your current job is to add tables at the very last. Leave room on the pages. Make the tables in Word to fit the space they will need on a page by page basis and do the copy/paste thing at the very end if there is any chance you are going to need to alter pages during the design. In other words, don't add them as you go, add them at the end of the design process.

Take care, Mike

Maybe if you are familiar a little bit with HTML, it could be an alternative copying the HTML code of the table as right click on the document and Paste/Paste HTML Placeholder. It is not the most comfortable but finally if the table is not too complex, then relatively easily you can add rows and columns.

For example just for the try copying this below code as HTML placeholder, after right click on it and Edit Widget, then going to HTML code (body) button and manipulate, for example putting the row <td>Cell5</td> that would add a new cell with text Cell5

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>Cell1</td>
    <td>Cell2</td>
    <td>Cell3</td>
    <td>Cell4</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

If you have the option to save the page from Word as PDF you can drag and drop the PDF file into PGD (check For Editing). I just tried this with an Excel file opened in Word and exported as PDF. The text is editable.

The main problem is the PDF opens about 5 times the size of the page but you can reduce it to fit and it is still editable.

Thanks this .pdf method seems very good, I tried it the texts for me are as "Clipped groups", but simple double clicking them and editing on the new tab, with a Save they are changed

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

If you check out the archived XaraXone Shareware pages there is a free utility called XXFX that will create a basic table that you can paste into Xara programs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Angelize thanks, somehow this is the link which I never can find by myself on XaraXone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You are very welcome. Finding this on the New Xone is actually very easy Just click on the free stuff treasure chest then partway down the page you will see the listing for the Shareware page, click the go arrow and you're there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.