Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Point and Click wizardry

I'm no photographer and Santa this year brought me a nice point and click camera. Yesterday we went to the Harry Potter Studio Tour, outside london. At the end of the tour you get to go through the wand room - the walls have wand boxes in racks (anyone whose seen the films will understand), one for everyone associated with the film - the actors, writers, crew, etc.

It's a room lit for atmosphere rather than photography. It was crowded, not particularly well lit for photographs, but the crowd parted and I managed to get the guide pointing to some of the wands, and a clear view of the wall. So I took my photograph. It's my favourite from the day.

There's too much detail on the labels and the camera didn't capture it perfectly, but I am so pleased that I could get this image from a point and click, without flash or tripod in what was a reasonably dark room. Thank you Sony!

I'm not claiming any artistic merit for this - I just like the picture. If anyone's curious, it's a Sony HX9V. It does fantastic HD video too.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPWands2.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	88704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPWands_b.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	88707  

Last edited by pauland; 10 April 2012 at 05:58 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Point and Click wizardry

Olivander's Wand Shop.

Several of the news programs on TV have shown video about the Harry Potter Studio Tour.

Paul your Sony HX9V captured a very nice shot especially for the lighting conditions.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I just looked at my post again - it appeared to show only one image. I've edited it and now you can see both shots (if you couldn't before).

The HP Tour was good. They said it would take three hours or so to go through and they were right, but you could spend a lot more time in there if you were interested in the production drawings and models.

The original image is 4608x3456 (don't get too excited, there's no RAW images and it's jpg - point and click, with a lot of artifacts because of the processing).
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like that shot, it came out very nice. It must be quite a grand tour.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    It must be quite a grand tour.
    It's quite amazing. We watched all of the HP films again, over a week and then went to the tour the next day.

The films are impressive and when you see the props and the models and design notes, etc, you realise what an immense project the whole thing was.

HP's house (where he lived under the stairs) is about a mile from our house! (it was a real house in the first film, then they rebuilt it on set for the other films).

I've not been a HP fanatic, just enjoyed the films - never read the books. The girl in the photgraph was always a HP fan and was booked on the HP tour but then heard they were recruiting. She applied and she can tell you where the box is for just about anyone associated with HP. She relocated just to work there - her home was about 180 miles away. She absolutely loves her job and made what could have been a very ordinary part of the tour something special. Good luck to her.

The Hogwarts model is HUGE!
    IP

A good post, Paul.

I've not read any of the books either, but the rest of the family have.
    They were on a threat of 'death' if they discussed anything whist I was in the house! (Before all the films had been seen, that is.)

The film makers did a great job on the last film, in my opinion.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP