Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Stop Web Pages from Jumping

This topic has been discussed on TG and I'm sure there are some good reasons as to why this happens.

To be honest, a web site visitor is not interested in any technical or browser problems, as to why this happens.
    All that is seen, is something that looks unprofessional.

Click here to see the jumping problem.
    You will see that when you use the menus along the top and you go from page to page, things jump right and then left, when the page appears to get centred.

Many other sites, jump from left to right.

I'm sure, Xara boffins, can find an answer because many sites do not jump.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Stop Web Pages from Jumping

Rik, the http://www.xara.com/us/ site is not created using Xara software.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 03 July 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Removed an inappropriate personal remark.

Steve, I never said that the site is created using Xara.
    I gave that as an example of the problem.
    Many think that it's not a problem, and many do.

I've read every one of your replies and posts and have tried to learn as much as I can.

Try as I might, I cannot get rikdatta.com to jump.
    It seems to be a lot more stable than the site I created using Xara.

So, are you saying that it's not worth asking Xara, the questions?
    In that case, that's

If Xara believe this not to be a problem, then a Xara Developer or a Xara Admin is welcome to delete this thread.
    Honestly.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Guest Guest

Sledger, I greatly appreciate your and also Drwyd's engagement in explaining that matter and in suggesting solutions!
    I've understood that it's caused by shortcomings of Browsers when rendering fixed width-pages - seemingly
    regardless of source.

As Website Professional or Xara-Engineer one therefore can read Rik's request as somewhat naive and simply close the case.
    But this ignores the fact that some Wysiswyg-Editors do not show the described problem. Never.

While Xara allows for both great Ease and great Freedom in Design of Websites the described page-shifts
    and perceived jumping is definedly a painfull side-effect. I do not see this error happen in other Editors such as Adobe Muse or Artisteer
    (in html-website-output-mode). Both while clearly being Wysiwyg lso allow creating dynamic width-pages.
    I as a Layman can only assume that this somehow has to do with non-pixel-perfect placement of items on Xara's side and maybe Antialiasing
    but this may be total rubbish. All I can say is: The mentioned programs clearly allow for less freedom but the nasty effect here does not appear
    and edges also tend to render crisper.

To me it seems evident that page-shifts are not very much in Focus of Xara-Development/Management.
    Otherwisely they wouldn't have released a Sales-Website for Website-Creation-Programs which exposes quite a prominent visual defect.