Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default First web page i've done

I've only managed to do the main page and contents page at the moment. All the others are awaiting which pictures we are putting on and text proofing, etc.

Let me know what you think. I know i have repeated the animated flash banner on both pages, this will be changed when i find a decent way to make my flash placeholder the same as the end frame of my animation. I think i'll just make another animation with just the end frame and use the function in WD7P.

http://www.hwl1.com/

Default Re: First web page i've done

Welcome to TalkGraphics

The buttons could be simpler and without the capsule shape. To me the capsule shape looks old fashioned compared to the rest of the site.

I did a screen capture of your banner and exported it as a PNG. That should work for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banner.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	88713  

Thanks for the feedback.
    Shame the PNG isn't the whole thing i need. I've tried the new animation with only the final frame but the results with auto regenerate image check box is a bit hit and miss. Random lines and blocks of pixels appear.
    I too tried a screen grab but placing it and getting the right size isn't as easy as i thought

I moved this to the Xara Web Design Chat forum since this post is more appropriate for that forum.

Where was the original Flash animation done and do you think you could recreate it in Web Designer (File > New > Animation)?

Looking at the animation again I think you could do it pretty easily.

But what is missing from the screen capture I did? I watched the animation and must be missing something.

There's an address on the right that fades in and some text below that slides across. I did the Flash in Web Designer 7, i found it a little constricting, shame you can't shape tween as i was after a different effect with the HWL.

I managed to sort my place holder image, if you view the flash as a GIF at full screen view you can save the image. Yeahh. I don't have to bang my head any more.

OK, now i have to rethink my buttons, any suggestions.

I had left the text off the image because it makes more sense to have the text be actual text instead of a bitmap. Actual text is searchable and a bitmap is not unless you add an Alt Text caption to the image.

I would do something simpler with the buttons such as an all text button bar. You can adjust the mouse over colors in the Website Properties > Website tabbed section so that you have mouse over feedback when the visitor mouses over the buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text bar.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	88736  

This is your FIRST website?

Outstanding!

Very clean & neat that creates a sense of sophistication and professionalism - very appropriate for a Professional firm like an Architect.

Suggestions:
    You may want to consider using a wider resolution. I don't know why everyone uses narrow resolutions for their beginning websites. On a higher resolution monitor (which is what most people have) the site gets shrunk down and it loses some of its appeal. Plus its harder for old farts like me to read!

Excellent work in opening all of the links in a new web page so the visitor does not leave the website - that is not something newbies usually pay attention to.

The slide in layers are neat, but you probably could style them a little bit differently than the main site to achieve better contrast. Also they can be larger - white space is not necessarily a bad thing.

More spacing between the items in your lists would make them easier to read.

Paragraph/List titles should have some kind of emphasis (larger font, bold, different color, etc)

Overall a very good first effort!