Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Add object to group

Hi for everyone, could you please advise how to add an object to a group?

As I remember somewhere read that there is some way of it without ungrouping, however now reading the Designer Pro help it seems that is needed

To add more objects to a group
    Select the group.
    Ungroup ("Ctrl + U")
    Select the extra objects.
    Group again ("Ctrl + G")

Basically this group is a repeating object on several pages so maybe would not touch that with ungrouping, but of course if there will be no other choice

thanks,

Default Re: Add object to group

Hi Csehz

In your case I would:-
    • Repeat the new member
    • Select the group
    • Shift click the new member
    • Ctrl+G

You could just group the existing group and the new object together. I personally prefer cleaner groups (except for particular circumstances when there's a specific reason to have nested groups), so I select the group and the new object(s), hit Ctrl-U, then Ctrl-G. Easy peasy.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

With Designer Pro 7, if you double click on a group it opens an edit window and all the grouped objects are ungrouped. You could add the next object to the group and press the Save disc icon.

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    ... so I select the group and the new object(s), hit Ctrl-U, then Ctrl-G. Easy peasy.

-- Ben

I hadn't realised you could do that. That little tip might prove quite handy.
    Now, that's .

Thanks Ben.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Csehz,

Looking at your profile you are using Designer Pro 7 so Gary's method is the best one for you to use. Double click the group, add your object and when you are done Ctrl+S will save your changes back to your original drawing.

The edit inside feature in Designer Pro 7 is very useful, in fact I have gotten so used to using it that I forget when using Web Designer MX Premium that the feature isn't there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The method Gary suggests has another benefit. If you have specific properties assigned to an existing group and you ungroup and then regroup it you could foul-up (lose) the attributes the group originally had.

Thanks very much the answers, trying these yes if someone has Designer Pro 7 then Gary's method is amazing effective. I just simple doubleclicked the group, it opened a new tab, ctrl + V so pasted to there the new item and adjusted to its place, then saved.

And it is repeating on all pages as it was originally, and the new item did not become a nested part, it is on the same level like the others which is also a benefit for me in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    The method Gary suggests has another benefit. If you have specific properties assigned to an existing group and you ungroup and then regroup it you could foul-up (lose) the attributes the group originally had.
    That's true, anything like transparency or a live effect applied to the group would be lost with my method.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com