Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Background - full width

Im wondering how to get a background effect which uses the entire width of the page, and has the text sitting immediately ontop - so having no defined page border - a little like Skech has done in this example by having the 3 horizontal bands of colour across the page and corresponding aligned text in each "section".

How would I do this in WD6 without the background shifting / resizing?
    Do I need to look over the tweakset for non-tiling background image or no tile vertical, soemthing like that? and should the background be imported just as an image or must it be created in xara?

That might be a simple question! But I've not had much sucess getting the tweaks to work for me when I've tried before - so if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be appreciated I like the finished look of these style of pages, as while the content can't resize from WD, this it seems to make good use of space.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Background - full width

You can do this without needing any tweaks. draw a tall thin rectangle, this should be taller than your page and tall enough to avoid repeating vertically. Make this rectangle one of your desired colours. Clone the rectangle change the colour and adjust the height to create a band of a different colour. select all and export as a png or jpeg. reimport this bitmap back into WD and go to the utilities menu and open the bitmap gallery locate the bit map you just imported and click the background button. It will look like just your page has the new background but if you preview the page you will see that the image tiles over the whole background.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I don't have WD6 but use WD7P... with this it's a matter of selecting your desired image from your folder and then dragging that image to your pastebord background whilst pressing and holding down the control key. HTH

Im still having issues with this in WD6...
    I've got an image for the background. I've imported it as .jpg and treid with .png. I have applied static background tweek to prevent it tiling.
    On top of the image I have two horizontal rectangles which are the width of the background and ontop of which the menu bar will sit on the mouse off layer.

only thing is, this looks fine while building, but in preview the two rectangles grow in height and are no longer aligned with the menu bar, they're stretched (thats importing as one image after creating in photoshop and also tried exporting and reimporting from WD)
    If I import only the background image and then draw the rectangles on the background layer all I get in preview is a full grey background - the image and both rectangles are missing. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...?

Hi Megg could you upload a sample .XAR .WEB file for us to examine ?

Hi Drwyd, I figured it out, but thank you. When the image was imported as .png for some reason it appeared fine and the right size while working on the site, but stretched vertically on preview. Importing as .jpg and importing at full quality did the same. Importing as .jpg at the lower resolution option worked in the end. Images were being created in photoshop - so must be something to do with the resolution.

Still though, if I had anything else on the background layer except one single image and then placed one of the items from the tweekset on I just got a plain grey background in preivew - remove the tweek regain the image (though it was tiling)... so this prevented me from placing the image on that I wanted then just adding the two horizontal bars as rectangles - had to go into PS and export the image along with the two rectangles as a single .jpg. then import to WD at reduced resolution to use with tweek and get it to work

Quote Originally Posted by AutoEvo View Post
    I don't have WD6 but use WD7P... with this it's a matter of selecting your desired image from your folder and then dragging that image to your pastebord background whilst pressing and holding down the control key. HTH
    This helped me. thanks for this. I mean I actually knew this but for the life of me couldnt remember...