Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Any Suggestions For Inkjet Photo Printers?

I'm looking for a new inkjet photo printer, max print size 8x12". I currently use 2 Epson Stylus Photo R300 printers (6-color) because they will print on CD/DVD. I will keep one of these for that application. I need a good quality photo glossy print when I need to show a proof to a client, or a print of a website sample. Unfortunately, my Epsons too often will print (not print) lines on the prints, and I'll have to run a head cleaning (sometimes several times) and then reprint. This obviously takes time and wasted paper/ink. I would also like to be able to refill the ink cartridges. Anyone have any suggestions/experiences with printers that might fit this criteria?

Thanks,

Jim
    IP

Default Re: Any Suggestions For Inkjet Photo Printers?

I don't know Jim. I assume you want to refill the ink yourself. Is that right? I had well still have a R200 and I like it. Now I'm using a HP Photosmart all in one and I like it but that sure doesn't fit your criteria.
    I'll check with my brother, he is a photographer and prints large photos but then his printer may be larger than what you want or need. As far as refilling the cartridges I have heard a lot of not so good reports about that I think the little print heads wear out then you need to replace the entire cartridge anyway. I tried refilling mine at one time but found out that I could buy rebuilt cartridges for a fraction of the cost of the name brand ones and I had real good luck with those.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Hi,
    I had the Epson rX500 printer for years but on upgrading to win 7 64bit I had driver problems constantly. I then purchased a Canon Pixma 6120 that has a CD/DVD print tray. It is a six color printer with individual cartridges and am quite happy with it.
    Jim
    p.s has built in scanner
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card
    IP

IP

I have been using the 9000 series of printers for about 10 years now and I can't quibble about them at all bar being a bit expensive to run. I started of using the S9000 and now onto the Pro series and all are A3+ printers with the latest Pro version is an 8 tank printer when the previous being only six, gives a wider colour print. I have tried filling my own tanks but could not get the right viscosity of ink as I did with the Canon cartridges so I have compromised by using Canon compatible cartridges. It was the colour from the self filled cartridges that was the problem it wasn't so intense, I still could fill the black tank but I don't bother as it is such a bother. I also have an old HP printer which has black + a photo grey tanks which I use for grey-scale prints (black & white) which works very well but both Canons beat it when it comes to photo prints.

This all come down to personal taste as my mate has top of the range Epson which he thinks is far better! Get yourself down to a shop and get them to print out a test sheet or one of your own photographs which you think covers a wide spectrum of colours and see what you think is the best.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Thanks everyone. It will be either the Epson 1400 or Canon 9000.

Jim
    IP