Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Locking a pdf file

I have Xara designer pro 7 and wish to lock published pdf files so that viewers cannot copy text (even with cntrl+C) or imprt and manipulate the pdf file.
    I have tried adding a password to document encryption & permissions but can still copy text.

How do I stop all copying etc?

Thanks

Default Re: Locking a pdf file

If you still want to permit printing of the locked PDF, then in most cases anyone could print to PDF (via a virtual PDF print driver) and get an unlocked version to manipulate.
    Another thing to consider is that even with fully protected PDFs a screenshot can be sent to an OCR application which will convert it to text.
    There are also free sites to go to that will unlock protected PDF files (such as pdfunlock.com) so I guess what I am saying is, make sure any effort you go to is really worth it. When you make something available on the web you really have very little control over what is done with or to it.

Ok, thanks - had a feeling about that.

I use a program called Encrypt Web Pro from http://www.allynova.com/

As Sledger will point out, anybody can copy anything if they want to, but this makes it harder. I have used it on my wife's site http://www.mary-carter.com/ so you can see how it works.

You can disable print screen but this causes the browser to display a very ominous warning so I don't recommend it.

And as far as I know you cannot encrypt a PDF file so you might need to convert your PDF to HTML.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I use a program called Encrypt Web Pro from http://www.allynova.com/
    Like with PDFs, the web page solution Gary uses only keep honest people honest.

Most PDF locking schemes I can break in minutes. A couple of very expensive solutions I have not been able to get around easy enough to keep trying. I use to test these things for clients--including the web locking solutions such as AllyNova.

Take care, Mike

As a test, I imported a PDF file in Designer Pro 7 and exported it as a website. Then I encrypted the site using Encrypt Web Pro. So this is one avenue you might consider. Instead of linking to a PDF file, you could place the converted to HTML PDF document in a folder, and link to that folder. So if your particular document was in a folder called document-a you would add a link to this folder. The information will be encrypted and keep everyone but Mike from copying the information.

And when you create the HTML file you can add links back to the page on your site or use the Open in New Window link option.