Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Artistic joy on a tablet

For many people here on TG, tablets are an irrelevance - they aren't fast, they don't do everything your Mac or PC does, they don't have a mouse, DVD drive or a proper keyboard. Just what is the point with these gizmos - aren't they just toys?

We all know how great Xara has been - the master of vector graphics, known only to the few, now known by many and the jack of all trades. Yet, strangely some of us have been trying to shine a light on an organic wishy washy workflow that doesn't focus on point pushing - we just don't need that either, right?

Well, I came across a tiny program, that seems to encapsulate both of these. It doesn't try and do everything. It just wants to do something exceptionally well. It doesn't have a massive feature set but what it does do? Well wow!

Decide for yourself if the tablet revolution and organic workflows are just a waste of time.

http://www.fiftythree.com/paper

Even the promo video is stunning.

Paul

Default Re: Artistic joy on a tablet

Thanks for posting, Paul.

Paul - Have you tried it? I just downloaded the free app then splurged for $8 US for the full set of tools. On first swipe it is very impressive. For some reason I feel a $30 stylus purchase coming on.

The colors are limited and you cannot adjust the size of the brush strokes except by pressure. Still, better than etch-a-sketch.

There are quite a few graphics apps for the iPad. The hard part with the iPad is getting what you create off the pad and into a file that you can do something with.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 07 April 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Yes, for the extra tools at the price, it's an easy decision to buy. I think that this App is beautifully made.

Before anyone tells me it doesn't do XY&Z, well I agree. It does simple drawing and painting exceptionally well in an easy to use style. I think the video shows it's strengths well.

I'm no artist, but this makes it easy for me to play.

I hope you enjoy it Gary. I bought a cheap stylus ages ago and this seems made for it.

Paul

Paul I am an artist who used to paint traditionally with oils.
    When I started back into sailing I did not want the hassle of oils and thinners and all the trappings of traditional painting.
    I switched years ago to the Wacom tablets.
    I can tell you I cannot even think of going to a mouse for digital art.
    I use Photoshop, and a program call Painter to paint Digitally, it is most definitly a fun way to paint.
    There are many programs out there to get going into the world of digital art
    Some of the programs I own go far beyond an etcha sketch style lol.

Here is one of my first attempts from years ago with a tablet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clone of Bird_bak.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	88636

That's great work - you are talented.

Yes, I'm aware of the other software out there - much more sophisticated and capable than iPad paper.

That said, I love what the program does and comparing it to etch-a-sketch is somewhat unkind.

Enjoy what you do.