Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Artistic joy on a tablet

For many people here on TG, tablets are an irrelevance - they aren't fast, they don't do everything your Mac or PC does, they don't have a mouse, DVD drive or a proper keyboard. Just what is the point with these gizmos - aren't they just toys?

We all know how great Xara has been - the master of vector graphics, known only to the few, now known by many and the jack of all trades. Yet, strangely some of us have been trying to shine a light on an organic wishy washy workflow that doesn't focus on point pushing - we just don't need that either, right?

Well, I came across a tiny program, that seems to encapsulate both of these. It doesn't try and do everything. It just wants to do something exceptionally well. It doesn't have a massive feature set but what it does do? Well wow!

Decide for yourself if the tablet revolution and organic workflows are just a waste of time.

http://www.fiftythree.com/paper

Even the promo video is stunning.

Paul

Default Re: Artistic joy on a tablet

Thanks for posting, Paul.

Paul - Have you tried it? I just downloaded the free app then splurged for $8 US for the full set of tools. On first swipe it is very impressive. For some reason I feel a $30 stylus purchase coming on.

The colors are limited and you cannot adjust the size of the brush strokes except by pressure. Still, better than etch-a-sketch.

There are quite a few graphics apps for the iPad. The hard part with the iPad is getting what you create off the pad and into a file that you can do something with.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 07 April 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Yes, for the extra tools at the price, it's an easy decision to buy. I think that this App is beautifully made.

Before anyone tells me it doesn't do XY&Z, well I agree. It does simple drawing and painting exceptionally well in an easy to use style. I think the video shows it's strengths well.

I'm no artist, but this makes it easy for me to play.

I hope you enjoy it Gary. I bought a cheap stylus ages ago and this seems made for it.

Paul

Paul I am an artist who used to paint traditionally with oils.
    When I started back into sailing I did not want the hassle of oils and thinners and all the trappings of traditional painting.
    I switched years ago to the Wacom tablets.
    I can tell you I cannot even think of going to a mouse for digital art.
    I use Photoshop, and a program call Painter to paint Digitally, it is most definitly a fun way to paint.
    There are many programs out there to get going into the world of digital art
    Some of the programs I own go far beyond an etcha sketch style lol.

Here is one of my first attempts from years ago with a tablet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clone of Bird_bak.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	88636

That's great work - you are talented.

Yes, I'm aware of the other software out there - much more sophisticated and capable than iPad paper.

That said, I love what the program does and comparing it to etch-a-sketch is somewhat unkind.

Enjoy what you do.

Sonoferin - Paul is not referring to your tablet as an input device, he is referring to drawing on a table such as the Apple iPad.

Art Set is another app, $.99 US that has a few more drawing objects and a wider palette of colors.

Paul - There are dozens of drawing apps, even a few vector drawing apps. I have never explored these but I will have to get on the case.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 08 April 2012 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Sonoferin - Paul is not referring to your tablet as an input device, he is referring to drawing on a table such as the Apple iPad.
    Yes. I understood.

Not everyone wants to produce (or is capable of producing) photo-realistic work, but that does not invalidate the stylised work that is possible using the iPad and the paper programme. It seems rather disrespctful to those that produce stylised work, such as is possible using the software to compare the experience and results with using an etch-a-sketch.

Even beyond the realms of tablets, using real media, artistic work can be stylised and while it is not to everyone's taste, it's as valid as the fantastic results produced by Sonoferin. Sometimes photo-realistic work leaves me cold while stylised work can be moving (and vice-versa).

I'm sure Sonoferin will correct me if my interpretation of his remark is misguided.

The page software isn't the most sophisticated software available, but then again it can be used for much more than purely artistic purposes, and we all know that the capabilities of an artist doesn't depend on the software they use or the pencils in their hand.

I'm not arguing with you, Paul. I was trying to distinguish between a table such as a Wacom, which is used as both an input device and a drawing medium, and the iPad, which is also referred to as a tablet but is not strictly speaking, an input device.

Sorry Gary, I can't follow what the point is here, and how it relates to Sonoferins remark.

As far as drawing apps for the iPad goes, I have several - most far more sophisticated than page. I was struck by the elegance and simplicity of the interface and that impressed me greatly. One of the great points about page is that it can be used in so many ways - not just for artistic purposes and the book interface is perfect.

As a software developer I understand how much effort has gone into the app to make it so easy to use.

I had hoped that some TG users would at least see how tablets can be useful and why feature laden software can sometimes be inferior to far simpler apps in some circumstances.

Anyway, lets enjoy the app.